iphoto library size doesn't match folder size

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plaidhippo, Dec 31, 2009.

1. plaidhippo macrumors member

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me understand why the iphoto library file size in the finder appears to be a certain size, while iphoto itself reports a very different size. Is there any way to recover any disk space or reconcile the numbers here? Please see the attachments below, it may make a bit more sense that way. :) I would like to recover the disk space and if it really is a 16gb difference somewhere, I would love to get that space back!

Thanks,
    Ashish

Attached Files:

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Have you made image edits and changes in iPhoto?

3. plaidhippo thread starter macrumors member

Yes I've made several edits recently. I just got a camera where I'm often shooting in RAW mode, and I modify most of the images to publish to facebook and flickr. Iphoto 09 does non-destructive editing, correct? If that's the case, does it just store changes as entirely new images? If so, that could definitely account for some of the size difference.

The other question I had is if there is any "clean library" or rebuild library type function that can find any lost files and remove them. Are there any software packages for that, to help me recover my drive space a bit?

Thanks for the quick response!

Ashish

4. yanickpaquin.ca macrumors newbie

iphoto 09 library size does not match to library size in folder???

I have the same exact problem.

In Iphoto 09, it is telling me my library is 43,9G, and the finder is telling me the library is 53,74G. Thus I am loosing almost 10G on my hard-drive for nothing.

I have been deleting events that had more than 400 photos each.
    The trash is empty.

I have even defragmented my hard drive.

I have installed Iphoto Library Manager wich is giving me another size for the library 51.19G

Can someone explain??

Did you find anyway to settle this?

Thank you so much in advance!

Yan
    MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2,53 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1,07 GHz