iPhoto Library size problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cderalow, Aug 7, 2013.

1. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

So my wife and I use iPhoto pretty extensively to keep our ever growing photo library managed.

I've started to run into a weird issue recently with browsing through events with large numbers of photos, and I'm wondering if it's because of the size of the iPhoto library (currently around 190GB), number of photos in the events (700+) or something else entirely.

The basic issue is that the thumbnail image does not refresh when scrolling, it will remain as another image in the event, and all of the thumbnails will eventually turn into the same 4-10 thumbnails (based on scaling). When you navigate to view a single image or to edit, it goes to the correct photo.

I'll try to get some screen captures tonight.

Anyone else have similar experience? Anyone know if there's some theoretical limit to iPhoto event & library sizes? We've probably got a library more like a pro photographer but are only basic power camera users (for reference, we shoot in primarily raw format with our Olympus E-510, and SHQ digital with anything else).

Our library as said is around 190GB/19,000 photos organized into events by month (with about 10-15 other specific events) spanning the last 6 fulll years (so 60-70 events)

is this a graphics/RAM issue? a couple of variables that I'm not sure of.

For reference, machine is a late 2012 27" as seen below.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

There reaches a point where iPhoto is just not up to the task. You should consider moving to LR or to Aperture. My preference is Aperture... but you will hear religious arguments on both sides.

My Aperture library is about 400GB. I have a 2012 27" iMac and I keep my managed Aperture library on my 768GB SSD. For all practical purposes... it is instant.

/Jim

3. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Well I dont have any personal experience with LightRoom, but as an Aperture user, it will get the job done. You can keep your main images on an external drive as referenced images, it will also save you a ton of space on the Computer also.

4. rcd macrumors newbie

segmenting iphoto to reduce size

I would like to have a year's worth of pictures and videos on my laptop to work with while traveling. (I do not want the hassle of an external HD). I want to be able to cut and paste (but I know can't) my events from my external HD to my laptop so that I can work on relevant pictures and videos. I know there has not been an easy way to do this from past posts. Have there been any upgrades that would enable me to have two iPhoto libraries open at the same time to complete this? It seems a natural progression considering the proliferation of video but the lack of space on laptops.

Thanks in advance.

5. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

I am also having this issue. As I scroll down, it appears photos are duplicating, but they are copying over other photos!

It looks like a double is appearing, but if you look closely it seems like one photo changes into a duplicate of another and it doesn't go back to the original when you close the app and re open. So I start with 2 photos and end up with with 2 copies of one! And one image is lost!

I'm worried I am losing photos. What the hell have you done Apple!!!!