iPhoto library won't open from external hd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by purpleinnej, Jul 15, 2013.

1. purpleinnej macrumors member

I have a MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.8 with iPhoto 8.1.2.

I had my entire iPhoto library on an external hard drive. It died. Seagate replaced it under warranty. Before it COMPLETELY went out, I took it to a computer store and they were able to copy it over to two separate hard drives. I SHOULD now have 2 complete copies of my iPhoto library. But I can't get to them.

When I opt+click iPhoto, I have two options. One is a small library of stuff on my computer itself (not on the external drives) with basically random stuff I just needed temporarily. It opens correctly.

The other option is to choose "Other Library". But when I click that and navigate to the external hard drive, the only iPhoto libraries I see are greyed out.

If I try to open the iPhoto library file on the external hard drive in Finder, I get the error "CAUTION The iPhoto Library is on a locked volume. Relaunch iPhoto when the volume has read/write accees or relaunch iPhoto with <option> key held down to choose another library." There are two files, library.iphoto and library6.iphoto, both located in DRIVE>iPhoto Library (folder). Trying to open either one results in the same error.

I can see all the files (in the Modified and Originals folders) so I'm assuming the library is in there somewhere. Just can't seem to figure out how to get it to open.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

How are the external drives formatted? Can you read/write other files to the externals?

Attach one of the external the open finder and do a command-i on the drive itself to see if the drive is locked and if you have read/write permissions on the drive.

3. purpleinnej thread starter macrumors member

Figured it out--sort of

I currently DO have permission to read and write, but I have taken it back to the store that did the back up for me. They installed some Seagate software that came with the hard drive, which I think changed to allow me read/write permissions. However I still could not open the iPhoto library. Following a hunch I created a new user (admin) account and can now access the library and am currently rebuilding it. I've posted a new thread with new issues regarding what got solved with the new user account and what didn't.