iPhoto library won't talk to anyone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Undecided, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Help! My iPhoto library is messed up. My photos, events, etc. are all there, so that part is fine. But:

- iPhoto doesn't show up in the desktop or screensaver tabs in system preferences
    - iTunes doesn't "see" iPhoto

I've done all the built-in fixes (repair permissions, repair library, rebuild library), deleted the iPod photo cache folder, and deleted various preferences but nothing helped. Actually, it made it worse: at first, photos didn't appear in the screensaver options; now, photos aren't available in the desktop background options or in iTunes.

I created a fresh library, and that library works fine (its content is recognized everywhere). Since the content (photos, events, edits, etc.) are all ok in my regular library, is there a way for me to export the content of my regular library and bring it into the new library? I'm hoping that would leave behind whatever is causing the library problem.

As an aside, I was using this library with both Aperture and iPhoto. Mainly Aperture, but then I got tired of it and reverted to iPhoto for its simplicity. Since then, Aperture complains when i try to open the library.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Which OS are you using? I'm on 10.9 and I have iPhoto available for the Desktop, but not the Screensaver.

Why does iTunes need to "see" iPhoto? I've never come across that feature.

3. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

If iTunes cannot see your photos, then it cannot sync them to your various devices. All you're left with is the option to specify a folder of pictures.

I opened up the library and the new fresh library side by side,and moved the items from the old one to the new one for any item that was in the new one. It seems to have worked. (I duplicated my original library first, just in case...)

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

More importantly, what versions of Aperture and iPhoto are you using?

You can create a new library and import the photos from the old library using Aperture or use the iPhoto Library Manager program available here: http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

I would not want to give up the features of Aperture to go back to iPhoto. Did you really try to learn Aperture?

5. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

The latest of both. I got along OK with Aperture. I liked things like stacks (i would create mini stacks of just the front and back of a postcard I would scan in). I'm not a photographer though and so for vacation photos, etc. I figured iPhoto would be more than adequate. All the features and adjustments in Aperture was just too much and, even though a professional can get great results by manually tweaking everything, I usually made it worse and was better off with just "auto fix" type of adjustments. I just decided I didn't want to spend a lot of time on this sort of thing. In a fit, I basically undid all my edits, and switched back to iPhoto.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

OK, I see what you mean now.

7. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, so after all, things stopped working again. After the updates yesterday, I went back to Aperture, and so far everything (screensaver, iTunes sync) seems to be working. You're right. I'll stick with Aperture. Crap. All those edits from when I was using Aperture that I need to redo. I feel so...undecided.