iPhoto Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rayjay86, Apr 8, 2012.

1. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

new to iPhoto. Just a quick question:

I've always had my photos in separate folders before. Once I import them into iPhoto will I be able to delete the folders where the individual pictures files are?
    How do I get iPhoto to just import all the original files into its master iPhoto library file so that I can delete the individual folders/files that I have now?

e.g. I have a folder with 20 photos in it form a vacation. once I import that folder into iPhoto I want to have iPhoto make copies of those pictures and categorize/index/store them however it does so that I can then delete the original folder with the 20 photos in it.

Cheers

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I have found the Help section included with iPhoto to be very informative on these types of questions.

May I suggest taking a minute to peruse those Help files? You'll probably find answers to all your questions. They are nicely searchable, too.

3. Elzander macrumors newbie

Hey,
    Once a photo is imported to iPhoto it is copied into the seperare iphoto library, it is then safe to delete your original file! Hope that helps! :D

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

If memory serves, you want to read up on "Library Overview" and go from there.

Before you start the import/deletion process make sure you have a good backup of your photos... just as insurance. An external HDD that you can tuck safely away afterwards will do the trick nicely.

If you photos are organized theme/topic in your folders I would suggest importing them one folder at a time - takes more time initially - but allows you keyword effectively as you go, which is one of iPhoto's strengths.

Luck.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

From iPhoto Help search on "import"

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

This is not necessarily true... although I *THINK* it is true by default. It depends upon your iPhoto settings.

/Jim

7. Elzander macrumors newbie

Oh ok well i haven't fiddled with my settings so if you haven't then it should be fine you can check by right clicking on your iPhoto library icon and clicking show package contents - if your photos have been copied they'll be somewhere in there... :confused: