iPhoto Library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peji911, Sep 10, 2014.

1. peji911 macrumors newbie

What exactly is this?

I have a rMBP and when I used MacPaw Gemini to find duplicates, I always find that my files are in two locations: iPhoto Library and my Original Folder.

http://i.imgur.com/WoofK5W.png

My question is: If I delete my folder, will it remain in the iPhoto Library?

If so, can I, at a later date, back up the iPhoto Library to an External HDD?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

How to you have this checkbox set in iPhoto preferences? If you have it checked and drag things into iPhoto it will copy the file into the iPhoto library and also leave the original where it was (it looks like this is what you have).

If this is unchecked, when you drag things into iPhoto the original stays where it is an a copy is not put in the iPhoto library.

If you confirm you have had they checked and you do in fact have two copies like it looks in that screenshot, you can delete the original from that Pictures folder and the copy will stay in iPhoto.

[​IMG]

What I would do if you drive is large enough is option key drag the whole iPhoto library to the desktop before you do any of this. That will make a copy of the iPhoto library so if this program makes a mess of things you can just drag the copy back from the desktop and be in business.

Yes, you can just drag and drop the whole iPhoto library to an external drive for an extra copy if you want.

3. peji911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much.

PS: How did you make your pic appear? looks awesome!...mine only appeared as a link

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

When you are in the reply window click this icon and a box will come up you can paste the link into. That will surround your image link in codes like below to make it show inline.

Code:
    [ IMG]http://imgur.com/ptaXtnY.png[/IMG]