iPhoto library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carrollf, Sep 27, 2009.

1. carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

With iTunes, when I add a new song to my library, iTunes automatically places a copy in my iTunes music folder in Finder. Does iPhoto do the same with photos that I add to my library?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Check the iphoto preferences, one of them is "copy file to iphoto library folder" or something like that.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

By default, yes.

You can change that setting in the Preferences.

4. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

I have photos stored in multiple folders and in different locations on my Mac and external drives. If I import all of these to a new iPhoto library, will iPhoto consolidate all of these 'copies' to one single location on my Mac HD allowing me to delete the multi-sourced originals? And if so what location?
    THis may be an easy way for me to get all my photos back in order. I have done this with my music in iTunes and it worked very well.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, that will do what you want.

They will be stored in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library

6. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

ok so they'll be stored in the library but will the photos also be "kept organized" in a Finder folder just like iTunes does? iTunes not only adds my music to the iTunes library but also copies the files to organized folders in Finder. This is what I want for my photos too.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The iPhoto Library is a special kind of folder. The files are all kept inside, but it doesn't appear as a normal folder because messing with the actual files can corrupt the library.

8. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

Thanks for that - it makes sense. However, if I import all my original photos (from organised folders in Finder) into my library and then delete the original folders (to save space), can I later export my photos out of the library back into organised photos?

9. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Yes. But why would you want to? iPhoto keeps your photos organized brilliantly. You can do anything you want/need to do to/with your photos from within the app itself, so it is redundant to have another file/folder with duplicate copies.

10. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

I agree that iPhoto does appear to keep the photos very well organized WITHIN iPhoto. However, after I import everything and delete originals I may want to export them all back out to organized folders for use on a work PC etc.
    Can I do this?

11. mitch77 macrumors newbie

I'm gonna bump this post because its similar to the problem that I have. I have all my photos stored in iphoto 08 by event. Is there any way that i can export these events as folders of the same name? My wife lost all photos on her pc and I wanted to replace them with my copies from iphoto. When i tried to export them it copied all the photos to one folder. I really do not want to reorganise 2000+ photos if i don't have to.:eek:

Cheers

12. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Why not just turn on file sharing and copy the entire library from your machine to hers? The whole iPhoto Library, not just parts of it.