iPhoto looks different depending on user and my New iMac !!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by altaprod, May 21, 2008.

1. altaprod macrumors regular

altaprod

I'm bummed. I just got a new iMac and I'm starting to configure the users-I have 3-Administrator, Myself, and Guest.

I figured out how to share the iTunes music by placing the music in the shared folder, but I'm confused how to do the same (or if I want to do the same) for iPhoto.

Currently I just had iPhoto copy the 3.6 GB twice for 2 users. Which isn't such a big deal I guess, except it's 3.6GB of space I'd rather not lose. But the biggest bummer is that the photos in the first user showed up nicely with different events and categorized into approx. 100 events. But the other user just imported as 2 events making it difficult to find anything.

I hope I've explained this well. Any Help for a new iMac user?

BTW: The machine is a delight to use and the screen is just beautiful. I'm very pleased so far. Set-up so far is pretty easy overall.

:apple:

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Why don't you setup iPhoto like you did iTunes?

Move the original iPhoto Library to the Shared folder, and then point everyone's iPhoto at that location (by holding down the OPTION button when launching iPhoto).

That keeps everyone pointing at the same library, so nobody gets out-of-date, and you don't have redundant pictures laying around. :)

3. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

I'll try that

Thanks, I'll try that right this second. I knew there must be an easy way for this.

4. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

Many thanks AristoBrat

It worked perfectly. You just saved me gobs of time and 3.6GB.
    Thanks again! :eek:

5. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I've been trying to do the same thing myself. I moved the iPhoto library to the Shared folder but it seems that I have a permissions problem. Only one user can access iPhoto and the other user can't.

Does shared folder come with all the permissions setup for full access from all users by default? I tried messing with ACLs and permissions and feel like I may have messed something up with that.

Kan-O-Z

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

As long as 'everyone' has 'Read & Write', your permissions should be fine.

With a shared library, only one person can have iPhoto open at a time. If UserA has iPhoto open and then UserB logs on using the Fast User Switching thing, they won't be able to open iPhoto until UserA closes it.

7. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

I had to change my permissions to read/write

I had to do this too, after aristobrat's advice and it worked fine.

8. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

Ok...so is the Users/Shared folder by default setup with 'Read&Write' for everyone or do I have to do that? If I have to set the persmissions, where do I set it....Shared Preferences (in System Preferences) or by clicking on /Users/Shared in Finder and then doing a 'Get Info' and then changing the permissions there?

Sorry about all the questions.

Kan-O-Z

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Don't worry about the questions, what's how everyone learns. :)

By default, the Shared folder should allow everyone to 'Read & Write', but it's possible to drag in a file (say, your iPhoto Library) that may have different permissions.

If you haven't already, drag your iPhoto Library over to the Shared folder. Then (in Finder), right-click on it and choose "View Info". On the new window that pops up, at the very bottom, there should be a section for Permissions. If you need to make changes, you may have to click on the icon of the lock and type your password to unlock it.

10. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

Thanks I'll try that. One thing that is still a problem is that I logged in as User A and I created a file with textedit and saved it to /Users/Shared/. I then logged in as User B and I could read and access it just fine but I could not write to it (re-save).

I thought that ACLs solved this problem so that files that get created don't have specific user permissions. Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

Kan-O-Z