iPhoto lost some pictures

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vicvellocet, Jun 2, 2013.

1. vicvellocet macrumors newbie

Hello!
    It looks like iphoto doesn't like a period of my life. pictures from before 2009 and after 2012 are preserved but the years in between disappeared. THo only thing i see is tha picture attached.

any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Is it possible you moved the photos using the Finder?

3. vicvellocet thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't think so. i double checked my iphoto library

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That does not make sense, you should go to the place where the actual photo's are in Finder, not in your Library.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

When you say "Library" .... do you mean you navigated to the iPhoto Library using the Finder, and used the secret handshake to look inside the Library? (Normally clicking on the iPhoto Library with Finder simply launches iPhoto).

Or .... do you mean you can see the photos in the sidebar of iPhoto?

7. vicvellocet thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw the contents of the package. Some images disappeared from the originals folder.

and there's no backup.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

It is highly unlikely that they just 'disappeared' .... so, they may have been moved. I believe iPhoto will display the file name of the photo when it shows you the preview. Are you able to see any kind of a preview of the missing photos? If so, can see the file name somewhere? If so... do a Spotlight search on a couple of the filenames. I don't know if you have to do something special to have Spotlight search for hidden files, but do a quick Google search ... those instructions are out there.

If you can't get the filenames as suggested above, then go back into Originals folder and figure out a few of the file names should be. Most cameras have some sort of prefix... like DSC and then tack on a serial number in sequence. So, just go to the last photo in the Originals and note the name. Then look for files that would have come after that photo.

Be sure not move, edit, or change any photos in the Originals folder though. That is what caused this mess in the first place. iPhoto is a database, and it needs the photos inside its library to stay there, and to stay untouched. The fact that you even knew the secret handshake to get into the package is not a good sign. Apple hides the contents on purpose to minimize the damage a user can do to the database. Not saying you did anything wrong, of course. Lets just try to find those images.

Luck

9. vicvellocet thread starter macrumors newbie

i can't find with spotlight the specific pictures.
    i'm a mac user for more then a decade and i never had any problem like this.
    it's curious because it's like the pictures attached.
    and i didn't moved anything. i copied the library to my 2nd HDD, reinstalled OS X on my first SSD and stayed for months without using it because i was lazy to install iphoto. then i installed and after a couple of weeks i figured out a lot of missing pictures.

any idea?

Attached Files: