iPhoto, merging libraries?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tlinford, May 28, 2013.

1. tlinford macrumors regular

tlinford

Some time ago, I moved a large iPhoto library, as my macbook's hard disk was getting full, onto an external drive. Since then I put a new, large, HD into my Mac.

Also, in the meantime I have been importing photo's into a new library on this Mac; I essentially have two iPhoto libraries.

I would like to export the smaller library, to say a pen drive, and then import these into the large library on the external drive before moving this back onto the Mac.

Q: Is it possible to export the contents of an entire iPhoto library, and then do a mass import? please can someone help me?

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Unfortunately iPhoto is a little bit limited when it comes to tools to help you manage multiple libraries. If the new Library is small and you have not done many edits to the photos, you could just export the original photos to a folder on your hard disk. Then move the new Library to the pen drive. Move the old Library back from the external drive and reimport the new photos. Make sure you backup everything first though.

Alternatively there is an inexpensive tool called iPhoto Library Manager from Fat Cat Software which costs around $30. It has the ability to merge separate iPhoto Libraries and preserve the original photos plus the edits that you have made. I have not used this tool myself but I gather it does the job well. You can also use the tool for other purposes as well, such as splitting a large library into smaller ones.

3. tlinford thread starter macrumors regular

tlinford

Thank you...

Thanks for the tips..

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If you have considered moving to Aperture... this is a core function and trivial to accomplish. Aperture and iPhoto can now share a common library.

/Jim