Iphoto migration to Photo is it okay to delete iPhoto directory

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by webfilms, Sep 15, 2015.

1. webfilms macrumors newbie

I'm trying to free up space on my hard drive for my Mac Book Pro 2010 2.4 core duo 4 GB ram and250 GB HD and I want to delete my iPhoto directory. The iPhoto folder says it has 66 GB of data. I confirmed that my photos have migrated to Photo app. so I want to delete this folder. Is it possible that even if I delete this folder that it won't clear up any space as the file is a directory to photos stored on the HD. I don't intent to use iPhoto software in the future but that is one reason to keep the folder?

2. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

IMO, there's two reasons to keep the iPhoto folder...

...the first is because my understanding of the documentation is that the migration doesn't carry everything over into the new Photos Library...?

...and the second reason is when you get frustrated at just how limiting Photos is, you'll probably want to revert to iPhotos.

-- -- -- -- --

In any case, what I'd recommend you do is:

a) copy the iPhoto directory to a removable source (better: to two sources, for safety in redundancy)
    b) disconnect said removable source
    c) make sure that you have a Time Machine backup too
    d) delete the copy on the local drive

From there, go exercise Photos - - try running stuff from various 'Events', doublecheck that stuff is still full size, verify that RAW format files haven't disappeared, etc.

Obviously, if anything's missing, limited, etc, then put the iPhotos library back and try it again to make sure that the problem goes away.

And then please do let us know how it goes.