Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slinkington

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Hi guys,

I did a clean install of OSX Lion from my fairly new iMac and since then iPhoto has been hassling me about a MobileMe password. I don't know what MobileMe is, and have never used it, but every time I open up ioPhoto about 5 seconds later it gives me this message:

"MobileMe didn't recognize the stored password for "Slinkington's" MobileMe account" and it prompts me to enter a password that I don't think I even have.

I've used iPhoto for years on old machines and for months on this one without this problem, it just started since it reinstalled the OS.

Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks for your time! :)

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi guys,

I did a clean install of OSX Lion from my fairly new iMac and since then iPhoto has been hassling me about a MobileMe password. I don't know what MobileMe is, and have never used it, but every time I open up ioPhoto about 5 seconds later it gives me this message:

"MobileMe didn't recognize the stored password for "Slinkington's" MobileMe account" and it prompts me to enter a password that I don't think I even have.

I've used iPhoto for years on old machines and for months on this one without this problem, it just started since it reinstalled the OS.

Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks for your time! :)

Did you migrate your MobileMe account to iCloud yet? If not that is the first thing you need to think about. Notice I didn't say just go ahead and do it yet as the first thing you should do is back everything up! Whatever you do, don't create a "temp" iCloud account to "tide you over" until you "decide what to do about mobile me". I made this mistake and when I logged out of that temp account, ALL the contacts and calendar entries on my Mac were deleted until I signed in to my real iCloud account and it was able to put everything back using data that was still safe on my iPhone.

You can go in keychain access and delete all the mobile me entries. This should stop it from prompting you for a password. If anything it should prompt you for all the account info but not for just a password as deleting the mobile me entries in keychain access should make it forget that part.

I have galleries in mobile me. It took me almost a year but I got them moved over to Smugmug. I experimented with Picasa and Flickr but chose smugmug to replace mome even though it cost more than the other 2 options. Picasa has been folded into google+ and I've heard they forcibly downsample your images. Flickr is a bit of a mess when it comes to billing and I decided I'd have to let it go even though I managed to get it renewed after a 5 month pissing contest between paypal and yahoo (operator of flickr).

I had hoped Apple would offer some gallery functionality as part of Photostream. If they were going to do it, I would think they would have done it by now. Instead, they are giving out free SL DVDs to mome subscribers as a step to get them to Lion so they can use iCloud.

If you have ever used galleries in mome, it's way past time for you to either abandon them or find something else. If you've never used them, I'm puzzled why it's asking you to log in. Perhaps it's some sort of bug or glitch and scouring keychain access for mome entries should get it to stop asking. Of course if you were using mome for contacts, etc, you will get prompted when iSync tries to sync your other data so simply deleting those keychain entries only offers you a momentary reprieve.

The long term solution is to convert your mome account to iCloud once and for all. The process begins through the web interface to mome. Once you do it there, you do it on each Mac or device and you are done. BTW, I still have access to iDisk and galleries. I never use them but they are still there alongside all my iCloud stuff. I will manually wipe all that stuff before Apple gets around to shutting it down. I guess I'm still clinging to some hope they will decide keep iDisk alive in some form despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:

Grabauski

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Harrison, Arkansas
iPhoto - Mobileme help

Mine was doing that, too, just starting in April. I went to Preferences:Accounts in iPhoto and deleted the MobileMe entry. No recurrence since.

Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.