iPhoto modified yet image was never touched

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spectre51, Jun 24, 2013.

1. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

I was looking at my iPhoto library file and it is 27gb. I know iPhoto stores originals and modified versions of the same image so you can revert if you want.

I don't do editing in iPhoto and noticed my modified folder was just over 2gb. I went into the library file structure and looked at the modified file it had in there. It was a picture I imported two days ago. Never did any touchups or any editing to it yet it is in the modified folder. Went looking through the modified folder more and all the images are ones I have never touched. If I go to the picture in iPhoto I can't revert to original on them either so why are they in the modified folder?

Any ideas? I want to try to trim the library size down if I can.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Modifying iPhoto's library by hand is asking for trouble unless you know exactly what you are doing.

How many photos do you have in the library? And what is the average size of the photos? This will tell you about how much of the 27GB is the original photos and how much is iPhoto overhead.

3. spectre51 thread starter macrumors 6502

spectre51

I know modifying the library by hand is dangerous, I'm not modifying it just looking at folder sizes.

I have 4114 photos and 162 videos. No clue what the average size would be but for pictures it couldn't be more than 3-5mb. Biggest video is 512mb then 240 a couple between 100-150 and the rest are smaller than 100mb. The fact that photos are in the modified folders when I have never done anything to them but import them is what bothers me and its 2gigs of stuff. I don't think my library should be that big.

4. Bear macrumors G3

If you think about it, using rough math 4000 pictures at 4 MB eaach is 16GB and aty 50MB video, that's 8.1GB for a rough total of 24GB, I don't think 3GB of library overhead is out of line.

5. spectre51, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

spectre51 thread starter macrumors 6502

spectre51

That's besides the point that I have 2gb of modified files when none of the pictures have been modified which shouldn't be correct?

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Previews, perhaps. If you are storing RAW (or TIF) originals then when you look at the photo in iPhoto - I believe - it creates a JPG preview. Which would then get saved to the Modified folder.

An interesting experiment would be to simply import some images - and check the folders before you looked at them. Then look at them to see if they then appear in the Modified folder.

Also, if you have preset import actions (can you do that with iPhoto?) then of course you would have Modified images as well.

hope this helps....

7. spectre51 thread starter macrumors 6502

spectre51

All my photos are jpgs before importing (most come from smartphones)

On my last import there were multiple photos and only one of them is showing in the modified folder and I viewed all of them. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it.

Question if iPhoto detects faces, but you don't apply anyone to a face, will it maybe still make a modified version?