iPhoto move problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mdb2, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Mdb2 macrumors newbie

Hi all firstly would like to say hello (newbie)
    I have a problem using iPhoto 11. I Have a 27" iMac 2010 and a G force 2tb external hard drive.
    My iMac hard drive is about 3/4 full. The system I require is to use the G drive only! As the main source for my iPhoto library. I have managed to transfer the libraries over to the G drive. The system I used was finder, I opened up two windows, then dropped and dragged each library one at a time. And managed to confirm they are in place on the G drive. However when I delete them on the macs hard drive they also delete on the G drive. I have also tried turning off the G drive before deleting on the macs drive. But when I return power to the G drive and the mac see' s the G drive they are deleted on the G drive. Please help I am getting very frustrated. Also when replying please try to be as least technical as possible as I am the wrong side of pensionable to grasp computer jargon.
    Regards. Mike

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

How did you copy the iPhoto library to the G drive? Drag and drop, copy and paste or did you create an alias?

3. Mdb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for replying drag and drop using finder
    Regards mike

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

First, keep iPhoto in the Dock.

Then, hold down the Option key while clicking on iPhoto to open it.

You'll then be prompted to select the iPhoto library. Select the one on your G-drive.

With this, you should be able to force iPhoto to completely isolate itself from the iPhoto library in your Mac's internal drive. By that time, you're safe to delete it.