iPhoto Newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by standingquiet, Nov 4, 2010.

1. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Hi Guys

Had a Mac for around a year now and wanted to try out iPhoto finally.

So i have imported all my photos to iPhoto but they all still show up in My Pictures in Folders

[​IMG]

This is also what is inside iPhoto Library

[​IMG]

now can i delete my photos outside of iPhoto is is iPhoto running them from there current location?

I've noticed in iPhoto Preferences copy to iPhoto is "unchecked"

I use Adobe Lightroom, Photomatix Pro and Picasa for editing my pictures can this still be done from iPhoto?

Regards

Matt

2. Tumbleweed666, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

In that case no you cannot delete your photos outside of iPhoto as they are not INSIDE (edited) of iPhoto as you left the option to copy them inside it, checked off !

If I used all of those, especially Lightroom and Picasa, I wouldnt bother with iPhoto, its hard to see what it gives you extra over and above.

What is it you are expecting to get extra? Because the complications from using all of them together could be high.
    But certainly NOT copying them into iPhoto,as you have done by leaving that checkbox off, is a good place to start as it means anything you do in iPhoto isnt "locked" inside it. I would stay with your existing folder structure and see how you get on and if iPhoto adds anything.
    My guess is, it wont but do report back.

3. keaide macrumors regular

Avoid the iPhoto one-way street?

So does that mean if I do check the Import into iPhoto box, then iPhoto is a kind of a one-way street?

Suppose that after 2 years I find out that the Mac isn't for me... then it would be better to
    1. Uncheck that box in iPhoto right from the beginning
    2. Create a separate folder for my pictures in which I manually manage the folder structure
    3. Then copy my new pictures (such as from the camera or other sources) manually into that folder structure
    4. And only then import the newly added pictures manually to iPhoto.
    Or can iPhoto automatically detect changes in that folder structure? If not, then I understand that I should not do any changes (folder renaming, file movement) manually, because otherwise iPhoto cannot find the files any more...?

Then the "manual way" would still require me to make all changes via the iPhoto interface, but at least it will make it easy to switch to another photo management program or software platform... did I get that right? :confused:

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

You did but frankly given the software you already have I wouldn't bother with iPhoto at all. For anything where you might wish to use it, perhaps create a printed calendar or an album, I think in terms of overall hassle it would be far simpler and easier just to import the specific photos you want into iPhoto, for that alone.