iPhoto Nightmare

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MissRainbow, Aug 3, 2010.

1. MissRainbow macrumors newbie

I've only had my mac a few months and I'm verging between heaven and hell. I have absolutely no friends to easily talk to about my issues as they are all Windows people. This may take a bit of explaining.

I have about 3,000 photos. I began by importing them all into iphoto some time ago and not really knowing how to use it, I tried to create folders to split off the dates. I didn't know what else I was to do at the time. I also spent many hours doing the locations and the faces on them all. I finally finished doing them all and was really happy. Until I was looking just the other day at some of the photos to find someone some photos I took on one day out had gone from like 124 photos to 21. I have no idea what happened to the rest. So I panicked. I began to try and them arrange them in the 'events' bit, by their dates. But somehow after spending a few hours doing that I began to see that I couldn't put more than about 20 photos into an event, so somehow I was losing photos there too.

I began to just get fed up so I took all the photos I had not split into events and just put them into a folder onto the desktop until I could figure out what on earth was happening. Only I migrated a few back into iphoto to find the location/faces/date thing I spent ages doing, seems to have now reset.

Now I have 2,500 photos which only have the date I imported it, not the date they were taken and it just feels like it's all one big mess now because the photos are all jumbled now and I can't fathom out what the hell to do. I just wanted my photos in chronological order with the locations/faces/dates all accurate. The original load of photos I had are still on my ipod so I don't know if I can retrieve it from there without loss of quality.

I am concerned however because I don't know if my mac just randomly deletes stuff. I went to look up a friends address the other day to find she had been deleted from my address book ! She was the first contact I put in there. I remember inputting her two email addresses into there, and now it's gone!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I don't think this is true. I have events with hundreds of photos.

3. MissRainbow thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to add that I also was typing up a document in Pages last week too. When I went back to it half of it was missing. And I didn't knowingly delete it either.

4. MissRainbow thread starter macrumors newbie

Well clearly the way I was doing it was only allowing me 20 photos. Which is my point in that I don't know what the hell I am doing.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

No insult intended but it sounds like you need some personalized training to get used to using your Mac. As a recommendation, you should consider looking into the Apple Consultants route unless you took advantage of the One to One at your local Apple retail location.

In terms of your issues, have you considered calling in to AppleCare? Perhaps you may have a Time Machine backup to restore your iPhoto library back to a previous date? Incidentally, stuff deleting and disappearing off the computer isn't at all what should happen and could be a symptom of a system instability. You should take steps to backup the computer if you haven't already and consider calling AppleCare or enlisting the services of an Apple Service Provider or Apple retail location in the area...

6. skybolt macrumors 6502a

To address your initial problem -- if you want to use iPhoto, you must NEVER mess about in the iPhoto Library in finder. iPhoto organizes things so that it can do the work for you, and if you mess with that organizaiton, then you will get the result you originally got. iPhoto could not find the photos you changed in the finder. So, when you get this sorted out, remember to stay out of that file!

Have you tried to rebuild the library? Like this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638

7. nikehair macrumors member

My friend ran into a similar problem which really annoyed her and she moved to Picasa. You have to just let iPhoto do the work for you and not try to organize things yourself like your normally would in a normal folder structure.