iPhoto no longer "sees" my iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ruffian829, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Ruffian829, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

Just this morning I tried to sync my photos from my iphone to iphoto on my macbook (running leopard so no icloud / photostream to the macbook) and I plug my phone in and itunes pops up just fine but iPhoto doesn't automatically open and when I manually open it my phone does not show up as a camera device. I restarted the macbook, restarted the phone, I tried playing with the preferences and changing it from open camera in iphoto to no application and vise versa (which I read to do in another thread), I deleted photos in my camera roll that were saved via email (I heard that could cause problems?) and no luck...

any suggestions?? I *think* I have iLife 09 (I bought it in February of 09) and I have the iPhone 4S. It worked as of about two weeks ago just fine. The only things I've done in the mean time is I downloaded picasa app for mac but I haven't really used it... I'm not sure if that could be "interfering"?

TIA

ETA: when I sync via itunes, it says it is syncing photos... but I assume this just means its syncing the photos from the albums I have set up to sync, because nothing is actually happening w/ importing photos into iphoto at that point

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You probably just need to change your import preferences in iPhoto.

This link should help.

link

3. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply, but that did not help / work. It still doesn't see my iphone. Last time I plugged it in iPhoto did open but it did not come up with my phone photos (or have my iphone as a device along the left hand side).

4. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hooked my ipad up to my macbook to see if that would show in iphoto (it does not) and I also got this message from itunes- ""This iPad contains photos synced with another photo library or folder." and asks if I want to replace the photos on the ipad with photos on the computer.

I'm about to throw all the devices out the window :( all I want is to be able to hook up my iphone and sync the photos to iphoto as normal. And for this stupid error message to not happen with the ipad.

5. LaWally macrumors 6502a

6. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have googled and tried deleting the ipod photo cashe, deleting all photos that were not taken via the iphone from the camera roll, and a ton of other things recommended. I'll try this next though, thanks.

7. Ruffian829, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried this, unfortunately it did not work. I've also tried my husbands phone with no such luck (which obviously is leading me to believe it is an iphoto problem vs. an iphone problem).

ETA: when I connect the phone, iPhoto opens, but no phone/camera shows up on the left hand toolbar

8. LaWally macrumors 6502a

I would tend agree, the problem is with iPhoto and not with your phone.

Just out of curiosity, does Image Capture see your iPhone? Also what version of OSX are you on? Also, what version of iPhoto? Image Capture?

9. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

No image capture doesn't see it either. Nor does Picasa. It's OSX 10.5.8

10. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

The genius bar did an archive and install, updated me to 10.6 (for free!) and it works again! They also gave me a new power cord (the one I got in Dec. was apparently defective) and they are replacing the keyboard and casing around the screen and keyboard all for free.
    I knew there was a reason I love apple. I no longer want to throw everything out the window. Thanks to those who responded for your help!

11. Bdoskail macrumors member

This is currently happening to me on my iPhone 5. Does anyone have a solution to it?

Thanks.