iPhoto not on 10.6.3 SL

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Celtiad54, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Celtiad54 macrumors newbie

Hi to you all, Tom nelson, I finally backed up my HD to external drive and erased and installed SL 10.6.3 successfully. 1-iPhoto was not part of the 10.6.3 SL, how do I get it from the external drive to my new HD ? 2-How do I get up to OS X Mavericks ? Is paying for it the only way ? 3-How do I get all the folders I need that were on Desktop from back up drive to new HD ?
    Thank you to anyone who can assist me with these questions.
    Celtiad54

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Depends how you backed up before installing Snow Leopard. Did you make a clone using something like Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper?

If so, connect your backup drive and then use Migration Assistant which you'll find in the Applications Folder. This will bring all your stuff over from the backup to your Mac.

If not, then you'll have to manually drag and drop what you want from the backup to your Mac.

Update to 10.6.8 by using the download in the link below.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

That will give you access to the App Store. You should then be able to upgrade to Mavericks for free.

3. Celtiad54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Dave, I backed up everything to ext backup drive.
    Clean installed 10.6.3 SL-both drives boot-everything is still on ext drv.
    Accidentally hit continue button in Migration Asst. said not to stop it while it was transferring
    Now have all apps instead of just what I wanted for example iPhoto is in apps fldr launches but no pics, pics still on ext drv
    Folders that came over have nothing in them ie; in home folder, folders are there but they are empty, on HD folders have what should be in them.
    How badly did I screw up, do I have to erase internal drive again ?
    I'm pretty sure Chrome shouldn't be 188.8mb.
    Celtiad and thank you btw.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Are you saying that you can boot and run the computer using your external drive?

If your backup is a bootable clone, I'm not sure why everything hasn't been migrated. You can drag and drop the iPhoto Library file from the backup into the Pictures Folder on your Mac. If iPhoto doesn't find it when you run iPhoto, then run it holding down the alt key and navigate to the Library file.

Again, if the backup is a bootable clone, try running Migration Assistant again. Failing that you'll have to do it manually, unless anyone else can offer some help.

5. Celtiad54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I can boot/run the backup and it has everything but only if I boot from the backup. If I boot from the internal HD and then plug in the ext backup drive and click on it there is nothing in the folders.
    The only thing that I changed when I installed SL was changed the password and one letter of the name for my computer.

6. Celtiad54, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

Celtiad54 thread starter macrumors newbie

One last thing, I only chose the apps when I used Migration Assistant. Do I need-probably obviously-to also check the files and folders ? What about the users and settings ? when I try MA again.
    Ok Dave, I just realized/saw the arrows which gives me the drop down selections where I can choose what to migrate, what I've already migrated shows 0 and what I haven't shows amount mb or gb. So I'll try doing this again.