Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I think I'm missing something obvious, but if I knew that I would not have both machines accessing it at the same time, is there a reason why I couldn't have the iPhoto files on a drive plugged into my AirPort Extreme, and have each Mac's iPhoto client access it there?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I believe putting your iPhoto Library on a shared drive like that will work fine (just hold down option and use the "Find Library" choice in the box that comes up on each Mac after you move it). I am doing something similar to that with an iTunes library now.

I suspect that you will only be able to successfully access it from one Mac at a time though, which makes sense if you think about it since databases and such have to be specifically designed to allow simultaneous access/modification, and I have never read where the iPhoto Library was designed for that. Just make sure you have a backup of the library before you try having iPhoto open on both computers in case of corruption! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.