iPhoto on a shared drive between 2 macs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Scott-n-Houston, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I think I'm missing something obvious, but if I knew that I would not have both machines accessing it at the same time, is there a reason why I couldn't have the iPhoto files on a drive plugged into my AirPort Extreme, and have each Mac's iPhoto client access it there?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I believe putting your iPhoto Library on a shared drive like that will work fine (just hold down option and use the "Find Library" choice in the box that comes up on each Mac after you move it). I am doing something similar to that with an iTunes library now.

I suspect that you will only be able to successfully access it from one Mac at a time though, which makes sense if you think about it since databases and such have to be specifically designed to allow simultaneous access/modification, and I have never read where the iPhoto Library was designed for that. Just make sure you have a backup of the library before you try having iPhoto open on both computers in case of corruption! :D

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

It works fine (one machine at a time). Keep in mind, the larger the library, the slower iPhoto becomes to load and scroll images.