iphoto on imac

vernod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Hi,

Just got an iMac and transferred my photos (was using picasa on my windows desktop). In picasa, I had all the original files in various folders under "pictures" Now that I have imported the pictures using iPhoto, do I need to keep the original files, or should I delete them? I mean have the files been copied to the iPhoto Library so that I can delete the original files, or is it like picasa where I still need the original files?

Thx!

will waters

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Great Britain
Find out where they are kept on the computer, i would expect them to have been imported into iPhoto, but i cannot guarantee it, find out how much space is used for the originals, then check out you iPhoto library to find out how much they use up.

If in doubt, DO NOT DELETE, it might be a bad mistake

Hope this helps
(if you need any more help, message me)

Orion27

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2003
Photos are copied into iPhoto, i.e. you can delete the originals but I would back up my iPhoto Library first.

Unkei

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Hi,

Just got an iMac and transferred my photos (was using picasa on my windows desktop). In picasa, I had all the original files in various folders under "pictures" Now that I have imported the pictures using iPhoto, do I need to keep the original files, or should I delete them? I mean have the files been copied to the iPhoto Library so that I can delete the original files, or is it like picasa where I still need the original files?

Thx!
Just to be safe, I made a desktop folder called Photos, and save all pics after working in Photoshop to that folder. Subfolders for different projects could be placed in that folder. Don't know if you can select a place to save from iPhoto,
Unkei

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Hi,

Thx!
You should be fine to erase the originals. It makes copies when it imports into iPhoto.

But just to check, select a photo in iPhoto. Then go to FILE > REVEAL IN FINDER.

It will take you to the photo in Finder. Switch to the column view and see where the photo is. If it's in the iPhoto folder in the 'Photos' folder then you're fine. It means it copied the files and you're free to erase your original files.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Photos are copied into iPhoto, i.e. you can delete the originals but I would back up my iPhoto Library first.
It depends on which option you took - i.e. whether you have allowed iPhoto to manage your library, otherwise it will use the original locations, if I recall correctly.