iphoto on my macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kiddk1, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kiddk1 macrumors regular

sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I used to have iphoto 11 and since I have upgraded to mavericks I notice it now says iphoto 9.5.1, and the icon looks different, when I go to the app store my version is the only one to show up, I cannot find iphoto 11

thank you

Attached Files:

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

yes it's a little bit confusing.

iPhoto '09 = iPhoto 8.x.x

iPhoto '11 = iPhoto 9.x.x

The latest version of iPhoto '11 is iPhoto 9.4.3

So yes, iPhoto 9.5.1 is the latest version of iPhoto.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Actually the 9.5.1 is the most recent version, released on December 11, 2013.
    Thus you won't find iPhoto '11 on MAS any more. You need to have your old installation media to install the old version.

4. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

5. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Oh dear.
    This is about Apple's perverse version numbering.
    iPhoto 8 shipped with iLife '09, and is commonly called iPhoto '09.
    iPhoto version 9 shipped with iLife '11, and is also commonly called iPhoto 9, or iPhoto 11.
    iPhoto version 8, that shipped with iLife '09, is the last version that doesn't suck donkey balls. Unfortunately you will have to track down a copy or restore from a backup, because it's not available from Apple. Sorry.

6. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Interesting to read this. I'm still using iLife 2009, b/c it came with my 2009 Macbook which I still use. Was thinking of upgrading to the newest version if iPhoto, but maybe I'll wait. Is there any danger of waiting too long and not being able to upgrade to a new version of the software? File format changes, etc?

7. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Not really a danger of not being able to upgrade, all the photos are stored in their original formats anyway. iPhoto '09 is a little creaky and unstable under Mavericks, which hints to me that Apple might not support it at all if the next os breaks it.
    I recommend the new version of iPhoto if you primarily use it for posting to Facebook, but if you ever do any editing or are interested in viewing photos using the whole screen stick with '09.