iPhoto on Retina MacBook Pro is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by jk73, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jk73 macrumors 6502

I love my retina MacBook Pro, but iPhoto is driving me crazy. Why isn't there a "fit to screen" option or an option to keep the "zoom" feature maxed out?

When I browse through my photo library, I have to zoom each picture because the setting in the "zoom" bar (in the lower left corner) resets after each picture. I assume this is a bug and/or related to the high resolution of the rMBP, but it makes iPhoto almost unusable. Anyone else noticing this problem, especially on an rMBP?

2. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: iPhoto and Aperture...

Hi jk73,

Maybe I'm not understanding your problem fully, but ...

In iPhoto when I click on an "Event" and then click on a photo in that Event it "zooms" the photo to fill the window. If I then press the left-arrow or right-arrow keys, I cycle through the photos in the Event, all at the zoomed level. In other words, it does not "unzoom" when switching photos. This is the behavior I find on both the rMBP's display as well as on an external 27" display when it is connected.

Personally, I like the way Aperture displays the photos of an Event better than the way iPhoto does.

Switon

3. Jungo macrumors regular

Same problem

I have the exact same problem (also on a retina mbp) - but mostly on older photos (half of my library) - I wonder if it's the latest os build, iphoto or retina specific.

it's MOST irrating.

I am also experiencing spotting cloud imports of new photos (sometimes they auto import sometimes they don't) AND there is NOTHING showing the cloud area no matter what I do.

4. jk73 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not for me. I just tried the above and the "zoom" reverts to the minimum with each successive photo when I use the arrows to browse.

I can't believe something as simple as the "zoom" or "fit to screen (or window)" preference has been omitted from iPhoto. I've had my rMBP for over 4 months but I use iPhoto less and less, simply because viewing pictures is such a chore.

----------

I've had my rMBP since July and this problem has existed from Day 1. I'm sure the resolution and/or pixel size on the rMBP is part of the problem, although those are an rMBP feature and not a bug. I just can't believe that the "zoom" preference can't be set once and then hold, instead of resetting with each viewed photo.