iPhoto options question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trlyka, Mar 7, 2015.

1. trlyka, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I sell items on eBay and other sites, so I take a lot of pics. I have an album that I made specifically for these pics. Now I want to make an album for items that were sold, but I want to delete them from the album with the items I haven't sold yet. I see when I delete the pic, it deletes from both places? Is there a way to do this so I can move the pics then delete them from the album I don't need them in anymore?

I would also want to move the newly sold items back to the other album and delete them from the unsold album.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Are you deleting photos from within their Albums, or from the main iPhoto/Events viewer?

Photos deleted from an Album should only disappear from that Album. Photos deleted from Events or the main iPhoto window, will disappear from any Albums that they've been placed in.

3. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

When I connect my iPhone to iPhoto, all the pics go to the main photo section (Library>Photos). Then from there, I will move pics that are associated with items I sell to the album I created for those pics under ALBUMS>eBay pics. Now that I have sold several items in this album, I would like to separate the pics of unsold items to another album (UNSOLD items) and delete/move those pics from the eBay album. When I move a pic from the eBay album to the UNSOLD album, I then go back to the eBay album to delete the moved pic, but it removes it from both albums.

So I could potentially create several albums and move the same pic to each album, but once I delete the pic from any one album, it's gone from everywhere.

Make sense?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Hmm...that doesn't happen to me. I'm using iPhoto09(v8), so things in iPhoto may have changed since then.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

It may depend on whether you intend to use iCloud Photo Library.

That only syncs with one library on your computer, and it syncs ALL the photos in that library.

OTOH, if you don't use that, then it would be easier to just move all the sold photos to a separate project or otherwise filter them. The advantage would be that if you need one of those photos again then you won't have to quit Photos and reopen to access the "sold" library and then move it. You could simply keyword them all with "sold" and then use a smart album to find them.

But if you do need separate libraries, then I'd suggest using referenced photos, not managed photos. This means you uncheck the feature that copies photos upon import into the library; instead, they stay in folders you put them in in the Finder.

So in the "For sale" library you'd delete the sold photo. But it's just deleted from that library; it would still be sitting in a folder called "Computers" in the Finder. You'd then open up the "Sold" library and import the sold photo from it's spot in "Computers."

There may be other expedient ways to do this, but it may depend on how you otherwise manage your photos.

And other applications might make this easier, again depending on your needs.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Have you considered adding a keyword such as {unlisted, active, unsold, sold} to the images? Then you could create a smart album that would show all the pix you haven't listed yet, have active, didn't sell, and have sold. You could also add date filters to restrict the ones you see. Always better to use smart albums than deleting or moving around photos.

7. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I think the easiest solution would be to use the keywords 'sold' and 'unsold' and create a smart album for each keyword. Then you can just change each photos keyword as and when you sell them.

You can also then hide all your eBay photos if you didnt want them clogging up your regular Photos display which I presume would have your 'normal' photos in.
    I do a similar thing as I bake a lot of cakes etc for people and like to keep photos of them. I don't want my Photo collection clogged up with endless photos of cakes so I keyword them all, hide them, and make a smart album to display them.