iPhoto or Picassa

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SteveWTW, Jun 18, 2011.

1. SteveWTW macrumors member

I've just switched over from Windows and was a big fan of Picassa which I used to index my photos. Now I'm on a Mac, is iPhoto better or shall I install Picassa?

Thanks

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

iPhoto is different. Since you have it try it out and see what you think. Can't hurt.

Personally, I don't like Picassa but I haven't since they introduced it for Windows way back when.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I dont care for Picasa (only 1 s) because it looks so "windows".

4. jmcrutch macrumors regular

When I switched to a mac from PC, it took me a little while to get used to iPhoto. I considered sticking with Picassa, but I prefer applications that are integrated with each other, therefore if I'm going to be using a Mac, I ought to be using iPhoto.

There's a differences between the two that I can't really specify ... for me I kept trying to force iPhoto to things the way I'd done them in Picassa, which caused me some problems.

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks I guess.

5. stroked Suspended

stroked

I find Picassa easier to use, compared to iPhoto.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I prefer Picasa (actually Aperture or Lightroom are better, but not free of course).

iPhoto does integrate better with some other applications, but you can use both. I put my photos into iPhoto, but when I work or them or use them I use Picasa instead. iPhoto justs sits there, unused, but since other applications look into the iPhoto Library, it's all good.

The latest iPhoto is particularly horrible, IMHO. They fixed some of the stuff we were complaining about, but I'd suggest saving some $$ of the money you'd spend on iLife (and I guess iWeb is on the ropes) and save toward Aperture.

Meanwhiie, Picasa is great. Especially with tags; iPhoto has it's own scheme for keywords, but Picasa plays well with other tagging applications like Tags or Leap (IPCT tagging). It also delves into the semi-hidden library structure of iPhoto, which means you can use it when you want to use applications that don't necessarily play well with iPhoto. So you get the best of both worlds.

7. chipz macrumors member

iPhoto or Picassa

I prefer Picasa as well. iPhoto in its previous iterations was a great program (especially since it came with the new Mac)! Unfortunately, the newest version is a mess. I don't know who Apple was listening to, but it wasn't the Mac users. In previous version I could drag and drop a lot of photos into an album at once with no problem. In the newest version they sometimes wind up in other albums listed above the one I'm dragging it into. Also, my Mac Book Pro 2010 15" i7 2.8 GHz with 4GB RAM, 512 MB VRAM. hi-res matte screen chokes when I use iPhoto! It slows to a crawl when I make adjustments to photos. The previous version never did that. Picasa works like a charm. I also use Pixelmator which I find easy and useful. It has the qualities of Picasa, but more of an Apple interface. It's available on the Apple Store for $29 or so.

8. seniorgeek macrumors member

Nothing beats Lightroom if you are serious about photography in my opinion.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I feel that at the moment, Picasa has the edge over iPhoto, since the latest version of iPhoto is so buggy. They both have the same features and work very similar to each other. iPhoto is just buggier and less stable than Picasa at the moment.

10. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I forgot to mention a program called Lyn; I have been demo'ing it and although it probably won't work for me it is pretty nice; kind of an iTunes like interface, with good access to metadata.

Rob

11. IeU macrumors member

I really tried to get used to IPhoto when i got my IMac27 1 month ago. But, first i can not sync (download ou upload) photos to my picasa-web-album, which has over 10GB of photos, and google storage prices, are too cheap, to look for other solutions (5$ a year for 20GB). There are others things i dislike, i think you just have to get used to it . . .

12. mediaspy macrumors newbie

iPhoto without Galleries

In my opinion Apple made a huge mistake when it dumped MobileMe Galleries when it shifted to iCloud. iPhoto used to seamlessly sync to MMG much like Picasa does with the Google galleries. Now without that sync option in iPhoto, I think Picasa really stands out as the better product.

13. SkippyScud macrumors member

I imagine it just comes down to how you use your software, wonderful thing is you have both at your disposal at no cost!

I ended up taking up Aperture when they dropped the price since a couple of my photographer friends use it and I've not been able to go back to iPhoto. It's been years since I played with Picassa though.

Think I'll install it here at work right now!

14. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

They're both horrendous.

Adobe Lightroom is IMO by far the best option out there, but in my experience Windows Explorer or Finder+Preview are infinitely superior photo organizing systems to either iPhoto or Picasa.

I have been into photography for many years and thus have en enormous collection of images to organize. I've tried both iPhoto and Picasa, but they're free for a reason: they suck.