iPhoto - Photo deletion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MiMiN, Dec 23, 2011.

1. MiMiN macrumors newbie

So on the new Mac OS X Lion, when I delete photos within iPhoto, it sends them to it's own dedicated trash, I empty them using the same shortcut I'd use within Finder.

I'm just wondering whether that action completely removes the unwanted photos from my system.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Should do, unless you imported fro a Folder on your Mac, and ticked the Copy to Library box in iPhoto's preferences. In that case the original will still be in that Folder unless you have deleted it.

3. matrix07, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

This is what I wondered the first time I use iPhoto and I asked people here. Here is the answer: Go to Preference. On Advance tab check the first checkbox. It's called Importing. If it's checked (Copy items) then iPhoto did not remove unwanted photo from your system. The next time you want a single copy of your photo in iPhoto gone, i.e. no duplication whatsoever on your machine, uncheck this option and delete at will.

4. waynep macrumors 6502

That copy preference is about whether iPhoto copies your photos into the library or simply references the photo's location and leaves it there during an import.

When you delete a photo in iPhoto, you need to empty iPhoto's trash can. Then you have to empty the system trash can.