iPhoto photos m.i.a.?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lsawtell, Jun 29, 2012.

1. lsawtell macrumors newbie

Here's the cliff notes version of what I am doing. I want to take my individual photos from iPhoto and put them onto an external hard drive. When I go into my iPhoto through Finder, I am not able to get past the icon (see photo). Do I need some sort of access to get to these pictures?

Attached Files:

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

iPhoto keeps your photos in a special "package" format, that they don't want you to mess around with. You can open it, but as I recall, the files are nested within many folders, and you may have a hard time finding them.

Have you tried just dragging your pictures out of iPhoto into your external drive? I know this can be tedious if you have a lot of photos, but it would work.

I can't remember if there is any other type of export for iPhoto, but I don't think there is...

3. lsawtell thread starter macrumors newbie

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but I think that is what I am trying to do. I don't know how to access my individual iPhoto photos. I can drag the icon into the external hard drive but I can't do it individually. I hope this makes some sense...

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

What I mean is you can drag your photos from the iPhoto Application to your hard drive.

I found a better way though. Try This:

Launch iPhoto
    Click on "Events" under Library on the left
    Select the events you want to export (CMD-A for all)
    Select File/Export
    Make sure the "File Export" tab is selected
    Select "Original" for Kind
    Select "Use Filename" for File Name
    Select "Event Name" for Subfolder Format
    Click Export

In the dialog box that opens, select your external hard drive, or a folder on that drive. All of your photos will be in folders by event name.

Click OK, and let it export your images...

You might try this on one or two small events first, and then do the rest...

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

It is possible to get inside the iPhoto Library folder. However, you are advised not to as you can easily "break" iPhoto by messing around in there.