iPhoto picture folders disappeared - Picasa ate them???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by callalily, Jul 14, 2010.

1. callalily macrumors newbie

HELP!!! :eek: I have had my Macbook Pro for only about 2 months, and I'm relatively new to this Apple world. I've had no problems with using iPhoto and uploading photos to other websites...

UNTIL last night! I downloaded Picasa for Mac (I've been trying to find a good photo sharing website that doesn't cost me money. I use gmail, so this seemed reasonable.)... and I swear, something has happened. I'm fairly certain it is connected with downloading the Picasa plug-in.

I have searched high and low in every corner of this Macbook, and my picture FOLDERS are nowhere to be found. My photos are still in iPhoto, and the APPLICATION shows up in my Pictures folder, but no folders with the photos themselves. Does that make sense? The photos are in iPhoto, but not stored in any folders anywhere on the computer.

This is rather distressing. Has anyone heard of this happening before??? Or does anyone have any advice for me??? I can't share any of my photos anymore until I find a way to fix this! I keep trying to upload photos, but they are nowhere to be found when I do so! :confused:

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Your photos are almost surely still in your iPhoto Library. Apple has made the library into a "package" so that users do not go into that file and corrupt their photos. It is the way it is so that iPhoto can work for you. It is "hidden" from the casual user, and we are not meant to access that folder. Do whatever you want from within the app itself. This is not Windows where you have to micromanage your files.

Now, I don't use Picassa, so not really sure what you are trying to do with it. But, you don't need something like that to upload your photos. Just drag the photos you want to share to your desktop from iPhoto app and share from there. Or use the export function in iPhoto -- that will allow you to pick what size you want your photo to be.

Does this help? If not, please post back with more info as to what, exactly, you are trying to do and we will try to help you some more.

3. callalily thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you!

Well, exporting to the Pictures folder works!!! They are not the original files... (who knows here those are?!) but I can at least upload them to other sites now!!! Oh, thank you so much for your help! I wish I could figure all this out, but at least this is a patch for the moment. I REALLY appreciate your response! :)

4. mjuraga macrumors newbie

Can't open my photos

Pretty stupid but ...I imported most of my photos via iPhoto, so all originals are in iPhoto Library. I had few photos hidden inside iPhoto . At one point I re-installed os x, after the installation i found out that I didn't back up iPhoto Library. .....I saved photos using "recover my disc.app" so now I have them but
    photos that were hidden I can't view any more. Please help, ...