iPhoto picture uploading trouble since installing iLife 08.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pinkcheese, Feb 7, 2008.

1. pinkcheese macrumors newbie

Hi, guys,

iPhoto has been really great for me. When I want to upload pictures on the web I would hit 'Browse', then 'iPhoto' and any of the folders within iPhoto that reflect the year, month and day the pictures were taken. It was really simple to upload pictures. But ever since I uploaded iLife 08, iPhoto no longer has those folders by date under Finder, so that if I want to upload pictures as an attachment, etc., after the Browse button, I am left with iPhoto the application with NO folders. So I would usually do something like drag the pictures I want to upload onto my Desktop or something, and then going to Finder and selecting those pictures from my Desktop as opposed to my iPhoto.

I don't know if I am being clear, but would anyone out there help me out please? Is there a way to create these folders by date? I've already tried creating folders by title within iPhoto, but those folders still don't show up under Finder.

Thanks!

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It sounds like you were accessing photo's from iPhoto from the finder. This worked before, because iPhoto stored your library in a regular folder. However, accessing the files like this could lead to library issues, if you happened to move a file around in the folders.

For iPhoto 08, Apple changed the regular folder into a package. This is a special kind of folder that can't be opened by double clicking in the finder. You have to control-click on the iPhoto Library and select "Show Contents" in order to see the old iPhoto format.

But a better way to access your photos would be to launch iPhoto and drag the image to your desktop, and then work with this copy of the image. If you want to resize the image, you can do that by clicking on the picture in iPhoto and selecting File/export. Click on the file export tab, and specify a JPEG and choose one of the predefined sizes (small, medium, large) and then save the file wherever you want it...