iPhoto: pictures accidentally deleted!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BacklitFirefly, Dec 28, 2010.

1. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

My mom accidentally deleted all the Christmas photos when she only meant to delete just one of them. She'd already deleted them off the camera. Any hope? It all happened so fast, before Time Machine or any backups.

2. brandon.8602 macrumors member

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

iPhoto has its own Trash can, completely independent of the OS X Trash bin. Odds are good that the photos are in the iPhoto trash waiting to be emptied.

4. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

Darn. The iPhoto trash is empty. Any other way?

5. mahood macrumors member

Chances are they're gone from the Mac, as it'll have overwritten that part of the disk by now.

Assuming she's not used the CF/SD card again since then, the images might still be recoverable from there (obviously they were deleted, but all that does is mark them as gone).

I've had luck in the past with a friend's card using this free (donationware) program:
    http://www.bluem.net/en/mac/exif-untrasher/

And others have told me about this one (it's a pay app, $29, but you can try it out to see if it will work before you buy - and I think your Mom should pay for it if necessary :cool: )
    http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

Hope these help you!

Mark

PS I know it's too late, but hopefully this will help in the future. My workflow is always to import, then leave them on the card. Only when I've done a complete Time machine (and ideally also an off-site) backup do I start editing, and I won't format the card until I'm sure.

6. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Better safe than sorry

7. mahood macrumors member

Well, you know what they say - there's two sort of people, those who backup carefully, and those who've not lost any data yet.

We all learn the hard way, I think!

Mark

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

we definitely all learn the hard way. And then shortly after it's a trip to best buy for an external hard drive :D

9. cristina1 macrumors newbie

iPhoto Pictures Accidentally Deleted!!!

You can try to rebuild iPhoto to recover deleted or orphaned photos. Secondly, you can try to manually import photos from iPhoto library to a new one. Thirdly, you can check for backup if available to restore deleted photos. If none of these steps work, then you can opt for third party efficient iPhoto recovery software for Mac to restore iPhoto library application.To know more visit: http://deleted.iphotorecovery.org/