Iphoto, pictures folder question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mic360, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Mic360 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am a new mac user and have a question about my photos and Iphoto. I have added all my personal photos to user/pictures 1463 items at 2.16gb are in this folder. Ok so I added my picture photo to Iphoto, and I was just taking a look in the Iphoto library container and noticed a copy of all my photos in there under the "Originals" folder. Now are these photos in the Originals folder actual copies? If so thats another 2.16gb of space being used for photos I already have backed up multiple times on external drives and dvd's. Is there any way to just use my pictures folder as the Iphoto library? Im thinking I might not need to use Iphoto as I can just view my photos in preview. What are the advantages of Iphoto I use photoshop for editing so dont need another program for that. Ok this was long winded and I need to sleep. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

iPhoto is fantastic for organizing your photos, that is what it was created for. You are trying to make your mac work like windows, and that will make your life much harder. Apple products take the WORK out of your work. You would do well to look at some of the tutorials here: http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/#iphoto

To answer your first question, yes, if you have your photos in a standard file, and then you import them into iPhoto, you will have duplicates. You can delete the original folder if you want to save space, and all photos will be accessible in the iPhoto app. If you decide you want to use iPhoto for its organizing abilities (and some simple editing abilities) do NOT go into the library in finder! iPhoto organizes things so that it can find them for you and you don't have to go looking for them yourself. If you change that order, it will not be able to work for you.

As far as editing, in iPhoto preferences, you can choose Photoshop (or whatever) to be your external editor. The when you click on a photo in the iPhoto app to edit, PS will open, you can edit, and the photo will be put back right where it belongs.

3. Mic360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this, I am having a hard time having my Imac do alot of things i normally would do on my own in windows. I cant tell if I like it doing things for me or having more of the freedom of windows to set it up as I like. Will take some getting used to but ill stick with it. thanks