iPhoto pictures missing? SMART ONES HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calimed, Jun 24, 2009.

1. calimed macrumors member

So here's my problem. I REALLY hope someone can help me.
    I just got a new MacBook. I transferred all my photos to iPhoto. When I open iPhoto they are there. When I try to bring them up in another application (like iMovie) they are not there. The only think the "photo" icon in iMovie brings up is one picture I took in photobooth.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED.....

Thanks...

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe access to the iPhoto library from other applications is controlled by the iLife Media Browser. This is actually pretty slow on my computer, as I have nearly 30,000 photos - do you have this many, and it is just being slow? Sometimes an arrow appears next to the library, which you must click to extend the events and albums.

Check in other areas to see if the photos show up, for example, in Mail (when composing a new mail), and in your Desktop Background preference pane (System Preferences).

3. calimed thread starter macrumors member

Check the other place/apps and its missing there too. I've only got 9,000 pictures and a brand new macbook pro. This is very frustrating for a new machine.

4. She macrumors member

I need help too. I bought my new MBP last Saturday and took & uploaded new photos over the weekend. Today I copied my old iphoto album over from my external hard drive and now I can't view the new ones I uploaded recently

help :confused:

5. calimed thread starter macrumors member

Can you view them in iPhoto and not in the other applications?

6. She macrumors member

I can't even find where they are

They aren't in my trash so I know they havent been deleted.. so confused :confused:

7. She macrumors member

Do you think it's possible the new album has accidentally been overridden? Luckily I exported & uploaded many of them to facebook & flickr already so I can recover those but it still bugs me that the others are gone :(

8. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Can you look in Library->Application Support -> iLife Media Browser -> plugins -> there should be a bunch of plugins for every iLife app. What version of iLife are you using? Have you updated your software?

9. calimed thread starter macrumors member

Fixed

So I called Apple....Long story short I reinsitalled iLife and it fixed the issue. Come to find out none of my music/photos/movies were appearing on other iLife apps. All fixed now. Not sure what caused the problem.

10. dirtleg macrumors member

Excuse me for hijacking this thread, but it appears you have solved your problem and I have a similar one. I have stored our iPhoto files on an external drive for a couple of years, no problems there. A couple of days ago my wife down loaded some pictures and did not start up the external drive prior to doing it. I was not home so I do not know what she did when iPhoto asked for her to select a library. She has the photos stored somewhere on the internal hard drive of our iMac, but I can not find them. I the mean time, I can not redirect our iPhoto back to the old library which contains all our photos from the last 4 or 5 years. I know I need to rename the old library so iPhoto will allow me to select another library, but for the life of me I can't fine the library on the internal drive.

Any ideas on how to find it or can I redirect iPhoto to a different library some other way? I wish iPhoto would let you select a library through preferences or something. I have had similar problems in the past, and a simple selection option would make things much easier.

11. calimed thread starter macrumors member

Have you tried holding down the "option" key when you start iPhoto?

Hope this helps.....

12. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Default location for the iPhoto Library is in /Users/(you)/Pictures. That would be the first place to look for the iPhoto Library package. Alternatively you can do a Spotlight search of the internal hard drive for Library.iPhoto which should home in on the general file path where the library may be located.

13. dirtleg macrumors member

The "option" on iPhoto start up did it for me. Thanks so much.

These forums are terrific, I learn new things all the time.