iPhoto Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarahbeara988, May 31, 2011.

1. sarahbeara988 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I posted this question a few weeks ago but got no responses.

On iphoto anytime I import a photo, it imports random photos from the internet that I never tried to import or never copied. The import as "plugtmp" files. If I delete these images, they are always re-imported the next time I import a photo. Also, it always asks to re-import photos that I have already imported, and I have to select not to import duplicates or if I had deleted the original photographs, it imports them again. What can I do?

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

How are you "importing" the photos to iPhoto?

3. sarahbeara988, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

sarahbeara988 thread starter macrumors newbie

It happens when I drag and image into iPhoto or when I upload pictures from my camera.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The photos from the internet, are they photos from sites you've visited or are they completely unknown?

Are they always named "plugtmp"? Do they all have the same name?

Which web browser are you using?

Which version of iPhoto are you using?

Which version of OS X are you using?

When you import photos from your camera are using a cable to connect to the camera or reading them from a flash media card (CF, SD etc.)?

5. sarahbeara988 thread starter macrumors newbie

The photos from the internet, are they photos from sites you've visited or are they completely unknown?

Yes, the plugmp images are from websites I have visited, but I did not copy these images or save them in any way.

Are they always named "plugtmp"? Do they all have the same name?

The ones that I never imported myself are always named plugmp with numbers on the end. But there are also images that I purposely imported and later deleted that re-import themselves. It asks if I want to import duplicates, so I assume it wants to import all the photos I have imported from the internet again. But if I had deleted them, then they wouldn't be duplicates, hence it automatically imports them. These are imported as "TemporaryItems."

Which web browser are you using?

Firefox

Which version of iPhoto are you using?

Which version of OS X are you using?

When you import photos from your camera are using a cable to connect to the camera or reading them from a flash media card (CF, SD etc.)?

flash card

6. sarahbeara988 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did what the thread suggested. I did not have an import or importing folder, but there was an auto import folder. I trashed it and tried importing a photo, but the same thing happened. All those photos came back.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, something else to try, instead of dragging photos directly to iPhoto, try dragging them to the Desktop first and then dragging them from the Desktop to iPhoto.

8. sarahbeara988 thread starter macrumors newbie

That does work! Thank you for your help, especially since you're the only one who responded. But I'm sure iPhoto isn't supposed to be doing that and it is a little bit of a hassle to drag my photos to the desktop first, so I'm still very open to other solutions. Thanks again for your suggestions!

9. DewGuy1999, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You're welcome.

I've found that many times here on MacRumors people won't respond if it's not something they've had experience with, me on the other hand I like a challenge of finding out and learning something that I didn't know about Macs. From Googling your problem I can tell you that there doesn't seem to be a lot out there for the same problem, either that or I didn't/don't have the right search terms.

Another option that I thought of is to use File > Import to Library and see if that works any better. If you'd still like to see if we can figure out what's going on with drag and drop just say so.

Edit: Just thought of one more thing you can try. Quit iPhoto if it's running. Go to Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ and put com.apple.iPhoto.plist in the Trash and empty it. Now launch iPhoto. You'll have to reset any Preferences that you may have previously set. Now try doing the drag and drop like before.