Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lenb

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2004
Leicester, UK
Hi All,

I Changed the name of some folders in iPhoto (rather than have 01 etc) and now iphoto cannot find or display the photo's above a certain size. If I try to print them out it just comes up blank, ie choose more than one to print and the ones in the changed folders do not display. Can I get this back to normal? I cannot re-import because photo's are no longer on original card. Also I have not backed up in original position.

Regards,

Lenb

Applespider

macrumors G4
Rule 1 of iPhoto is never touch anything in the iPhoto directory from the Finder. Those 01/02 folders (in iPhoto 5) are the months in which you took the pictures so by changing the names, you've mucked up iPhoto's internal system.

If you can recall what you changed, you could try changing them back to 01, 02 etc (it shouldn't be too hard since it will be the month in which you took those images). If you changed more than just that (ie the names below that which refer to dates) it could be a long, time consuming job.

Depending on how organised you had your iPhoto (keywords, rating etc) and how many images are affected. It might be quicker to find the real pictures in the Finder (since the images are still there - iPhoto just can't find them) and copy them to the desktop (create a couple of folders to drag them too that reflect what they are). There's an application Photo Extractor that might help.

Then go into iPhoto and delete those film rolls that were mucked up. And import the pictures again from the desktop.

lenb

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2004
Leicester, UK
Still the same!

Hi,

I've now seen the instruction not to mess with files ..... oops too late.
Tried what has been suggested but still shows only blanks, even though I also did a re-build. If I updated to iLife 06 with the latest iPhoto, would I still have the same problem?

Lenb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.