iPhoto problems in Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by archdelux, Oct 3, 2012.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. I kept my iPhoto '09 installed, but it appears that I need to buy iPhoto 11 in order to use the photostream feature.. is that true? Is there anyway to use photostream on my MBP without having to buy software which I already own?

Thanks

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

You need to update to iPhoto '11 or Aperture 3

3. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhoto is the single worst thing on the planet

How can anyone possibly use this piece of *****? I just purchased iPhoto 11 (even thought I had iphoto 9) and it doesn't even work. It took 10 hours to load all my photos, but after that it froze completely, forcing me to 'force quit'. Now all my events suddenly have zero pictures in them despite the fact that they were all there 2 minutes ago and my iphoto library is about 100GB

Not to mention the fact that whenever iphoto is open it uses 100% of my CPU and pushes my fan to 6000RPM and is unusably slow.

A search online seems to indicate that this is the norm. SHould I just call it quites and consider it a wasted $16? How can Apple possibly sell this cr4p? Don't the apple execs and engineers use the software they sell?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not the norm for me
    Works quite well for my needs actually

5. quatermass macrumors member

iPhoto Buddy might help

Sounds like you're loading a bazillion pictures if it's taking 10 hours, 100Gb - try splitting them up into manageable chunks and use iPhoto Buddy or similar to select which batch to open. I make a new iPhoto Library for each month and generally have a couple of hundred photos in each. Dread to think what would happen if I tried to keep them all in one library.

6. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

I think the best thing at this point is probably to delete everything and start over.. the problem is, I have no idea where the 100GB is.. the iphoto library file is only a few hundred MBs.. where did iPhoto store everything? My harddrive has 100GB less free space, so it must be somewhere..

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Same here...:)

BTW: "worst thing on the planet." !!??

8. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

100 GB of photos?!?!?! And you DONT expect hours of waiting and a loud fan? :D

9. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

My library is 144GB and I have no problems whatsoever. Runs smooth and quiet.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

11. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

If you have iPhoto '09, why are you importing the photos? Doesn't it tell you when launching iPhoto '11 that the iPhoto '09 database has to be converted to iPhoto '11? Also, I am guessing that iPhoto is trying to create Faces and Places for all of your photos, as well as possibly creating previews for all 100GB at once. That will bog the system down big time. You can turn Faces and Places off in the Preferences. That should help your initial conversion.

12. 06Honda macrumors regular

I use Preview 99% of the time for image cropped and basic stuff.

13. TomCat macrumors member

Never had those issues, even on an 8-year-old PowerBook. More RAM helps.

My beef with iPhoto is that it removes user control of where the versions go, trying to hide that all under the hood.

Aperture does that too, but there is a lot more user control on that front; that and the added capability makes it worth the $79.

14. digitalhen macrumors regular

I gave up on iPhoto / Aperture a while ago for similar reason (photos of over 250 GB and it was never able to load them without crashing).

I store them indexed by date on my drive now, and then use Picasa or Lightroom.

15. archdelux, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012

archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

I just installed iPhoto 11 and imported thousands of photos. Now I just turned on photostreamI on iPhoto and now it thinks that all 100gb of photos were taken in the last 30 days or something because it is uploading every picture to photostream... How do I stop this? (note the dates embedded in the photo files ae NOT within 30 days)

Needless to say, my phone and iPad can't handle downloading all of those pics...is there an easy way to reset photostream to only sync new pictures taken? Seems like this is a bug that would affect a lot of people..

nvm - for reference: go to icloud.com, click on name, reset photostream.

16. archdelux thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhoto storage location

Where does iPhoto store all of the 100s of GBs of files? the 'iPhoto library' file is only 100MB and the application 'iPhoto' is only 1GB, yet after importing all my pics into iphoto, my harddrive has 100GB less space.. where is everything being stored?