iPhoto query - How to sync?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DN667, Jan 6, 2010.

1. DN667 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I like to use iPhoto for viewing my image galeries as I am extremely fond iPhoto.

There's one big problem however: iPhoto doesn't seem to be able to sync with a folder of images, which is a problem for me.

For example: I have this folder which contains a whole bunch of subfolders. These subfolders represent either events or categories. In time, I add folders to my pictures folder and folders representing categories grow.

What would be the best way to have my iPhoto library in sync with this specific set of folders? Adding pictures by hand isn't really an option (way to much work). Cleaning up iPhoto every once in a while doesn't work either, as that cleans out recognized faces and locations too.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

How about creating a second iPhoto library (hold down option key while starting iPhoto and follow the prompts). Put your folder of photos in that library. Then you can use something like iPhoto Lobrary Manager to "merge" those libraries from time to time.

Why not just add photos to your iPhoto rather than have that series of folders? Seems so much easier to just keep them all in one place.

3. DN667 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll look into the iPhoto library manager.

Putting all pictures in a sigle folder doesn't seem like a good idea. I've got quite a few pics (a few thousand) and I use this folder for several purposes. Besides iPhoto, I use this folder as source for my online gallery as well. And iPhoto knows to handle folders as events, so I get some sorting for free :).

Best, Robin