iPhoto question - manually managing photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CrzyCanuck72, Aug 18, 2007.

1. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I have iPhoto set up so that I manually manage my photos in Finder.. iPhoto is just too slow for me, and i like to be able to go through my pictures in Finder...

anyway, I do import a lot of them to iPhoto for the odd time I want to see them all at once or whatever, but i have the option of copying the photos to the iPhoto library turned off, so when I import into iPhoto, the photos stay in the folders I made in Finder. I'm wondering if there's anyway to keep my folder structure in Finder while manipulating photos in iPhoto. What I really want to do is go through my photos in iPhoto, delete the ones I don't want, and have those deletions reflected in Finder. Is that possible?

2. 66217 Guest

Nope.

I really recommend letting iPhoto organize your photos. It is much more convenient once you get used to it.

Give it a try and see if you like it.

3. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Aperture allows you to do this, but not iPhoto. Don't be shy about giving iPhoto a try, though. A lot of people have posted about the same issue and come back later to say they like the iPhoto approach. It takes some initial effort to get the keywords and all set up, but the new iPhoto makes that a lot easier with the Events feature.

I ended up sticking with the folder approach using Aperture, but really only because I have more than 25K photos and an iPhoto database with that many pictures is unwieldy.

4. CrzyCanuck72 thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh, I let iPhoto do its thing for ages, but I have over 6000 photos, and it is just too slow and laggy for me, and it interrupts my workflow too much. If I wanted to send a picture over MSN, it meant opening up iPhoto (which would take a couple minutes to load and be ready to go), finding the photo, dragging it out of iPhoto, and quitting iPhoto (which would also take a minute). With my own file system in Finder, I just go straight to the folder I know has the image.

Thanks for letting me know that what I want can't be done though

5. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

There are a lot of discussions on these subjects down in the photography forum. Depending on your needs, check out Aperture or Lightbridge. Both offer a free trial.

If you just want a better photo browser than Finder, give Xee a try. It is free and is a terrific program.

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Lightroom :)