iPhoto Question w/ Nikon D5100

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by muenginerd, Aug 9, 2011.

1. muenginerd macrumors newbie

Hi, I've just started using a Nikon D5100 (had the cameara for 24 hours). I was shooting some shots of a family pet inside the house just to practice with some of the settings. The pictures turned out amazing beautiful on the camera. When I loaded the pictures into iPhoto, the pictures shot under low light came across dark, nothing like they looked on the camera. The comparison shots on my point-n-shoot camera came across the same on the camera as on the screen.

Any idea as to why the picture would be coming across differently in iPhoto? I'm on a Macbook, and I don't think it's colors on the screen. There are other outdoor pictures that look great within iPhoto. I haven't had a chance to load the Nikon software and am going to try that tonight, just starting to dig into this issue and any suggestions would be helpful.

2. clarkkent18 macrumors member

Are you shooting in raw of jpeg?? What setting are you shooting in on the camera?? I have that same camera that you do and I have had it now for about 4 months. I replaced iPhoto with Aperture 3, best thing I could have done.

3. muenginerd thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure about the what the file type is, I went with the camera's default. I should be shooting in RAW right?

Last night I was messing around in A mode (aperture priority). I took a similar shot with four different aperture settings to try and get a feel for it, four shots looked slightly different on the camera but all came out dark in iphoto.

Seems like the more I read the more people use programs above and beyond iphoto. That might be the way I go...

4. clarkkent18 macrumors member

I do not know what the camera default is, I have made so many changes to it, its not even funny. If you plan on just using iPhoto, I would not shoot in raw. But if you plan on upgrading software, you can do so much more in raw.

To find out what format you are using from the camera here are the steps:

1~Turn on the camera (duh, sorry I had to)
    2~upper left hand side on the rear or the body hit "MENU"
    3~On the left hand side of the screen select the camera looking icon "SHOOTING MENU" and then push the right arrow button
    4~scroll down to "Image Quality" and hit the center button
    5~From here you can select which format you want to shoot in.

What nice about the D5100, is you can shoot in two formats until you know what you want to do with it. I have a 32 GB SDHD class 10 memory card so I was able to shoot in both raw and jpeg fine. After learning more about raw vs jpeg, I only shoot in raw now. If you do not have a large memory card you will run out of space quickly, this is the highest setting and eats up memory like tomorrow.

Hope that helps

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

With Aperture Priority, the flash won't trigger unless you tell it to. They may seem fine on the camera's tiny screen, but you notice a lot more on the computer.

Also, if you're shooting in RAW, you'll see a [RAW] icon in the bottom bar of iPhoto when you view the photo.