Iphoto Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gaelan, Oct 1, 2010.

1. gaelan macrumors regular

So my HDD is full. Most of the space is used by either iphoto or itunes. What is the best way to move the pics (which i assume are hidden in the "iphoto library" icon) or music and still retain the use of the files? I've read that the iphoto pics are hidden and any alteration to the contents of the library will hose the app. Don't know if that's true, but I'm trying to free up some space on my hdd and there is 136gb on my external that is not being used.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the info. followed the instructions and then itunes couldn't "find" my library even after pointing to it. it forced me to create another and essentially copied my library a second time. the problem now is that the preferences in itunes that works is pointing to a .trashes file that i'm having trouble finding. any idea why it didn't work the first time around? steps i took:
    1. change location of library
    2. consolidate library (didn't work)
    3. copied music folder off Mac HDD onto external drive
    4. deleted itunes folder off Mac HDD
    5. (still not working)
    6. created new library on external hdd (now working but taking up twice the space)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can move both without to much hassle, many people have moved their iPhoto (and music) library without any problems.