Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I have always made new folders in my 'Pictures' area and dragged and dropped images from iPhoto to the folder... What I'm wondering is: am I duplicating the image when I do that, or is the picture in the folder the same as the picture that is in iPhoto?

Basically, if i delete the 8000 photos, and totally empty the trash to clear up some space, will the pictures also delete (or become inaccessible) from the folders in my Pictures place as well?

When I dragged and dropped, it does say 'copying' ... but I don't want to take the chance of deleting 8000+ pictures from iPhoto and then suddenly have them all gone from my computer totally.

Thanks!

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
If all your pictures are in iPhoto to begin with, then by dragging them out to folders in finder, you are essentially duplicating them. iPhoto is a photo management software that conveniently stores all images you import into the iPhoto library icon.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If all your pictures are in iPhoto to begin with, then by dragging them out to folders in finder, you are essentially duplicating them. iPhoto is a photo management software that conveniently stores all images you import into the iPhoto library icon.

Ok, so then it should be ok to clear NY iPhoto library to clear up some space without loosing my pictures, since I dragged them to other folders.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Ok, so then it should be ok to clear NY iPhoto library to clear up some space without loosing my pictures, since I dragged them to other folders.

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep them in iPhoto for ease of cataloging and 'having them all in one place' instead of scattered within different folders?

If it were me, I would delete the instances in other folders. You can always export new ones from iPhoto in the future if you wish (for whatever reason).

Either way, you clear up hard drive space, but arguably deleting the extra pics from various folders does a better job (since iPhoto stores the pictures in only one location and you would have multiple folders of different pictures scattered throughout your hard drive).

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Wouldn't it make more sense to keep them in iPhoto for ease of cataloging and 'having them all in one place' instead of scattered within different folders?

If it were me, I would delete the instances in other folders. You can always export new ones from iPhoto in the future if you wish (for whatever reason).

Either way, you clear up hard drive space, but arguably deleting the extra pics from various folders does a better job (since iPhoto stores the pictures in only one location and you would have multiple folders of different pictures scattered throughout your hard drive).

I never had them organized in iPhoto. But if I find a quick and easy way to do so, I might just do that and delete the folders.
(I have iPhoto '08 I think. It's definitely at least 2 yrs old)

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.