iPhoto Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TreyCox, Sep 22, 2013.

1. TreyCox macrumors regular

I'm new to iPhone photography. I purchased an iPhone 5s and I have totally fallen in love with its camera. I took a lot of pictures yesterday and today and I just tried to import them all to my iMac. iPhoto opens automatically whenever I connect the iPhone, showing all of the photos that I've taken... except that they're all RAW photos. I used the filters (Noire, Fade, Chrome, Mono, etc.) on some of the photos. How do I get iPhoto to import the photos with the filters still applied? Thanks, guys.

Also, if I'm in the wrong section I'm very sorry and mods, please move if need be.

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I'm not a phone camera guy, but I'll take a shot at this.

RAW is a type of file format used in most upper end digital cameras. It's all the basic data as gathered by the sensor and is basically a digital negative that is developed by software. A RAW file isn't changed as it is modified. The changes are saved in what is called a "sidecar" file linked to it. If you don't like a change, you toss it from the sidecar and start over with the undamaged original.

Most phone cameras don't do RAW, just jpeg, but in reading the promo on the 5s camera from the Apple site my guess is that it does. Apple says you can add changes to photos before, during or after a shot and if you don't like the result just toss the filter effect. That sounds like some version of RAW to me.

It's been a long time since I last used iPhoto, but I don't recall it being able to recognize RAW, just jpeg. If that's still the case, then it's dumping the sidecar on import and just keeping a jpeg that it generates. It might keep the sidecar file but not be able to do anything with it so it doesn't show up. That's why your effects vanish. There's a trick for looking into the iPhoto library to see what's there, but I don't want to get into that just now.

They may need to update iPhoto to keep up with the iPhone camera.

Hope this helps.

Dale

3. TreyCox thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much for the help. That makes a lot of sense and does indeed seem like what is happening.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

When I first started shooting RAW I used iPhoto and PhotoShop. I could store and organize all my photos in iPhoto and use an "Open in External Editor" option to get to the RAW controls using PhotoShop. Saving this edited version as a tiff or jpeg kept the changed photo in iPhoto's Library without changing the original.

Something like this will work but costs a bundle and I don't recommend it. Find the free trial of PhotoShop Elements and have iPhoto use it as an external editor to see if you like it. It's around $90 for the full version, I think. Aperture is $80 and would replace both, but has more of a learning curve.

Good luck.

Dale

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

An even cheaper why to try Photoshop Elements. Buy a Wacom graphic tablet that has PSE bundled. It is free that way and yo NEED the tablet if yo are going to do any but the most basic adjustments to your images.

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Tablets are nice, but the OP is using an iPhone and doesn't have what most of us would consider a "camera". He just wants to save the effects he applies in his phone. No interest in post has been expressed yet. That will come...:)

Step 1) use free
    Step 2) explore and move on

Dale

7. TreyCox thread starter macrumors regular

I have Photoshop CS5 installed as I'm a graphic designer, but I'm very new at photography. I'm really enjoying it and I'm definitely about to look into getting a high quality camera. And suggestions from you guys on what I should start out with? I'm thinking something $1,000 or less.

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The iPhoto/PhotoShop combo I mentioned was with CS3. What you have will do fine.

In regards to a camera, go back through this thread and you will find a lot of discussion on the subject. Perhaps searching on Recommend a Digital Camera?

The DPReview.com web site has a lot of good camera info.

I'm not a real designer, but I play one on the Internet...;)

dale

EDIT: Now I understand why you have so many computers...

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm a firm believer is buying cameras from a real store, from a someone who knows cameras. In my experience most photographers will know a lot about a very few cameras, whereas a camera store will know about a much broader range of cameras. A photographer is paid to know about whatever camera they happen to own, and a store is paid to know to about everything they sell.

A good clerk at a good store will start by asking you a bunch of questions - about the kind of photography you think you would like to do. Then, based on that interview will start showing you options. They should have multiple options to show you too. Often a purchase decision will come down to a couple of equally capable models, and you'll buy one based on how well it feels in your hand. A good shop will let you use the system in the store, and when you are getting close - may even offer to let you rent it for a day or two... with the rental fee being credited to a purchase if you buy from the shop.

You may not get the best price at a real store, but you will get the best service. When you need a new lense, they can recommend options. When something goes wrong ... they will help you sort it out. If it's a warranty repair, often they will provide a loaner. If you can't figure out a feature, they are there to help you. When you decide to trade in the camera for a better model, many shops will accept your old camera as a consignment sale.

Also... keep in mind.... serious photographers invest in lenses while camera bodies come and go. Sometimes the camera you buy is dictated by the lenses you think you want, or that you may already have access to. My rather expensive and serious digital camera is still occasionally asked to use lenses that are 25+ years old. Lenses that have likely been used 5 or 6 different camera bodies over the years.

10. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Not quite. This is a description of non-destructive editing. That is possible with JPG as well as RAW. If you know video, it's the same idea as an Edit Decision List - original footage remains untouched, software performs all modifications when viewing. When exporting from iPhoto, one can decide to export the original (unedited), or a file that incorporates the edits (either TIFF, JPG, or PNG).

A "sidecar file" is a misconception. Yes, separate data is needed to apply edits to a non-destructively edited image. It is NOT part of RAW shooting. The edit data (created by the editing program) is handled in a variety of ways. In iPhoto and Aperture, it's saved in a database. In Adobe, it's an integral component of Adobe's PSD file format.

All this indicates is that it's using non-destructive editing, which is just the way iPhoto works, both with JPG and RAW files. Undoubtedly, whatever is exported from the camera (in email images, exported to Facebook, etc.) has those edits applied as they go out the door.

The iPhone 5s spec sheet is not specific about output formats for photos, and I don't yet have a 5s, so I can't confirm or refute how the 5s stores and exports its images. However, saving as RAW would be a really big deal, something I'd expect Apple to be explicit about. I have tried the iPhone filter effects at the Apple Store, and confirmed that they are non-destructive. Any filter effect applied when shooting can be undone when viewing the shots in the Photos app. I have to take another look at the camera settings on the iPhone, to see if any RAW/JPG-related options exist.

The current version of iPhoto absolutely does support RAW.

And again, the notion of a "sidecar" being exported from the camera alongside the RAW image is not correct. RAW is what it is - a single file that contains all data from the imaging sensor. If you want a file that includes in-camera edits/modifications, you adjust your camera's settings to save JPGs. You want RAW, set the camera to save RAW. Best of both worlds, you save and export RAW + JPG from the camera. It's a memory card-eater, but at today's memory prices...

The only modification necessary, if iPhone 5s does save as RAW, would be a camera-specific RAW profile. Every new camera that saves RAW requires a new profile, which allows the editing program to properly interpret the raw data. These profiles are distributed periodically as updates by the software developer. I haven't seen an iPhoto/Aperture update that includes a RAW profile for iPhone 5s.

Overall, I doubt the iPhone 5s is saving RAW (at least, as a default setting). RAW files are quite bulky, and the iPhone's casual amateur user base would quickly burn up their phone's storage capacity. That's a cause for customer dissatisfaction. Apple's focus is clearly on the needs of hundreds of millions of casual users, not millions of camera enthusiasts. Similarly, for all users of iPhone with Windows computers, dropping a RAW file into their Pictures folder would be inconceivable - while all Macs come bundled with iPhoto, which can handle RAW, there is no RAW viewing/editing capability in Windows - a 3rd-party program is required. If that was happening, you'd already see the howling on forums like this.

11. Designer Dale, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

^^^ Thank you for the clarifications. I'm new to all this and need all the help I can get.
    EDIT: This guy needs the info, too...
    Sidecar Files and Lightroom
    Dale

12. TreyCox thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much, guys. You have been very helpful!