iPhoto question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arkanok, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Hello everyone,

I'm fresh to owning a mac, just bought the new sr-mbp only 2 day's ago, so i had a question regarding using iPhoto.

I added 5 images to the iPhoto library, and the files i added were just in a directory called "sanfran" which was in the photos directory. So i noticed that within photos, there is a sub folder for iphoto, then one called data and another called originals... Both of which seemed to contain the photos i added on top of the directory i originally imported from.

How can i prevent that from happening? I mean, i dont want 2 or 3 sets of the same photos on my drive, that would just take up too much unnessessary space.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The way you prevent that is by deleting your original folder, and do not mess around inside the iPhoto folder.

iPhoto is similar to iTunes in that importing photos into iPhoto literally makes a new copy of your pictures inside iPhoto's management system (which includes the iPhoto folder). So there is no need to keep your originals.

3. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok i see, thanks for the info!

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

But you know, come to think of it, i remember seeing an option to not copy the files to the iPhoto library, but it still seems to... I wonder why.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

To make life easier, I would just leave that option unchecked and let iPhoto manage your photos.

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

When you import your photo's, you can select if you want to reference them in their original location. Of course, this won't stop iPhoto creating a copy if you want to edit it.

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Yup.

Don't touch the photos inside the iphoto Library folder.

For the record these are:

Originals: The original files, arranged by year and roll.
    Modified: When making any edits to the photos through iPhoto, it copies them to a modified folder and makes edits on the copy, retaining the original in the 'originals' folder. That way you can always revert back to an untouched version.
    Data: these are smaller versions that iphoto uses to view on the main window, allowing extremely fast scrolling and viewing and stuff.

Again, don't touch any of these - do all your manipulation through the iphoto interface. And you can delete your folder you imported from if you want (I believe).

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Don't delete the original folder. That folder will contain all the originals hence the name (full resolution files, the ones you'll need if you ever want to print any out). The other files that you are seeing are copies, but they are basically thumbnails at a super low resolution--they don't take up any space unless your talking about billions of them. They are the ones you see when you open iPhoto.

Edit:Beaten to the punch.