iphoto question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acrahm, Apr 24, 2008.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

i got a question about iphoto i was hoping someone would be able to answer for me...
    can i organize my library by categories? right now my library has all my photos then i have folders like friends, family, various trips etc that have the photos separated but my library still has them all together. any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Your iPhoto library (in the app) is organized by date by default (right hand pane). Your albums and folders are what you want to use for more specialized organization (left hand pane). If you are asking about organizing the library in finder, I have one word for you -- DON'T! Doing anything to/with your photos in the library in finder is a sure way to corrupt and lose your photos.

Please give us more information as to what, exactly, you are trying to do. If you imported all of your photos at one time, say from a different computer, and they imported all as one big "roll" or "event" (depending on which version of iPhoto you are using), then you can break them down into rolls or events within the app. Please tell us what version you are running, and please be more specific about where and what you want to accomplish. Then we can help.

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

You can easily organize by category by tagging your photos (I think iPhoto calls them keywords). If a picture is of family give the "family" tag and so on. Then set up a Smart Album and have it find every photo with that tag/keyword. As you add new photos quickly add the tags and then they are automatically added to the smart album.