Iphoto Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by U2Boy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. U2Boy macrumors newbie

Once I import my photos into Iphoto is it necessary to still keep the single photos stored in folders on my HD? I guess I am confused because Iphoto stores the photos as one huge file. I don't know if it is a waste of space to keep the actual photo files as well as the Iphoto large comprehensive package file. I would obviously back up the iphoto file to time machine or something else. Just didn't know if I should still keep double files. Also, is there software like Iphoto that will house small video clips .avi's from digital cameras? Not Imovie. I have a lot of small .avi files from an old digital camera and wanted easy access to organizing and playing them on my computer. I don't really want to use IMovie for this.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. craigsharp, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011

craigsharp macrumors regular

iPhoto imports all photos that you add to the library and does in fact save it to the iPhoto Library File. There is no need to keep additional copies... As far as your .avi's i'm pretty certain that iPhoto will import and allow you to play from within iPhoto.

3. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

iPhoto imports movies from our cameras/phones just peachy.

Also, iPhoto Library is actually an entire "encapsulated" directory. Your image files are still under there, so you really don't need to keep a separate copy.

Even when you update photo by cropping/redeye/etc... the original is still there and iPhoto creates a copy for the changes.

At least that is my understanding. The wife does most of our iPhoto work, until of course she has problems...

4. julesw macrumors member

julesw

agree, i import all my video into iphoto from iphone, dslr etc, handy to store them there