iPhoto Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheLegend, Aug 8, 2012.

1. TheLegend, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

TheLegend macrumors member

TheLegend

So on the weekend I went to an event and took pictures and videos with my 4S. I want to put all the pictures and videos from my iPhone into a folder in my User/Pictures folder.

How would I get them in chronological order on my User/Pictures folder? When I show package contents for iPhoto, the videos are all in one folder, but the pictures split into about 50 folders, all with like 3-5 pictures in each :(

I'm not sure if I should just delete the pictures from iPhoto and import again or what.

Thanks

2. TheLegend thread starter macrumors member

TheLegend

So pretty much I want to duplicate an iPhoto album and put it on my User/Pictures folder without going into show package contents?

3. rkbca1, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

rkbca1 macrumors newbie

I think the iPhoto Export function will do what you want.

Run iPhoto, open the album, then from menubar: File -> Export

On Export menu:
    Kind: Original
    File Name: Use filename

and, hopefully, the original filenames set by the camera will maintain the chronological order you are looking for.

Alternatively:
    menubar -> View -> Sort Photos -> By Date
    then on Export menu set File Name to 'Sequential'.
    That will do chronological but at the loss of the original file names.

4. TheLegend thread starter macrumors member

TheLegend

Thanks, worked great. I'm not too used to iPhoto, and I was always taught to do the show package contents method, which isn't as simple.

Thanks! :D

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Do NOT move things around within the iPhoto Library!! You'll totally screw it up.

If you ever need to mess with the storage location, either use iPhoto itself to move or manage them (you could put some in an album and sort by date, to use your example). Or use the method you just did: export them to a folder, and then manipulate that any way you like (you could also then reimport it).

The one thing not to do is move things within that iPhoto Library; at best, you'll just lose what you moved, at worst, you'll hose the whole library.

You do, BTW, have the option to put the photos where you want to, and have iPhoto display them but not move them from those locations. It's a check box in preferences.