iPhoto Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i1280, Mar 13, 2015.

1. i1280 macrumors regular

i1280

New to Apple and MacBookPro. Couple questions that I was wondering if someone may be able to help me out with or give me some advice. I've put all my documents and photos from my PC laptop onto a Seagate HDD with the exFat format.

I imported the photos that I want in iPhoto directly into iPhoto using drag and drop. Photos I didn't want in iPhoto I put into a MY Pictures Folder in My Documents. Is this something I did correctly or should the iPhoto pictures have gone to a different folder (say My Pictures under My Documents or something else?) before I stuck them into iPhoto?

I also was trying to clean up and organize iPhoto and every time I go to edit an event name to make it more uniform with everything else, the edited title bounces me out of the edit mode before I am done typing. I tried to restart the computer, but it keeps doing it?

Any advice or help? Thanks in advance!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No, that's all fine, although you could have put the unwanted pictures in the Pictures folder rather than make a new Pictures folder in Documents. Any reason why you didn't put them all in iPhoto? Then they'd all be in the same place.

3. i1280 thread starter macrumors regular

i1280

I pretty much put all my "family and event pictures" in the iPhoto...the ones I care about most and then put random photos, screen shots, wallpapers, etc. in the My Pictures folder. I didn't notice the Pictures folder before...I'll probably move them there.

Thanks for the response Dave. Any insight on why I have the problem when editing the events in iPhoto?

4. i1280 thread starter macrumors regular

i1280

What I've actually decided to do was put everything in its appropriate folder, put this into the Picture Folder, then import the photos I want into iPhoto. Maybe a little extra work, but it will be easier for me to back up the individual folders on an external HD and then back up the iPhoto library as well.

I think I've figured out the issue with editing. I think the iCloud photo stream is updating and bouncing me out of edit mode. I turned it off and it seems to edit just fine. I'm not sure what it is updating because I can't seem to locate the photo stream on the MBP? Am I just blind? Anyone know where that is?? Lol...

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I don't use iCloud or Photostream, so can't help there, I'm afraid. However, you can turn Photostream on and off here:
    Go to Apple () > System Preferences > iCloud.
    Select the checkbox for Photos (or Photo Stream).
    Click the Options button and make sure that My Photo Stream is selected.
    Open the app that you want to use with Photo Stream (iPhoto or Aperture) and make sure that My Photo Stream is turned on in that app. You can also adjust your My Photo Stream settings in iPhoto or Aperture Preferences.

6. i1280 thread starter macrumors regular

i1280

Thanks again Dave. Another question...if I put my pictures in the picture folder and then import them to iPhoto, am I duplicating the photos? In other words if they take up 100gb in the picture folder, will they take up 200gb if I import them to iPhoto as well?

I think the editor I'm going to go with is the Capture One...once I get around to it. I like the idea of taking the photos in RAW and editing them up...

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

That depends. Check iPhoto Preferences>Advanced and check the "Copy items to iPhoto Library" option. If it's ticked, iPhoto stores copies of your photos in the iPhoto Library file, and you have a Managed Library. You can then delete the originals. This is usually the default option when importing from a camera.

If it's not ticked, then you have a Referenced Library and there are no copies in the iPhoto Library file. This is ok, however, if at some stage you delete those Photos from your Pictures Folder, then iPhoto will no longer be able to find them. If your pictures are on an external drive, then you will need that drive plugged in to be able to view the photos in iPhoto.