Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharontru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Recently my IMAC Tiger hard drive crashed and was replaced at apple store. I got old hard drive back and took to another computer store - they retrieved my files with a drive wire connection - the data could be read. However, my pictures are too small and are blurry when I expand them. Also I tried to download to Walgreen to print and they are not high enough resolution for quality print. Can I get pics from old hard drive another way?

nc7r

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
It sounds like iPhoto is only seeing the cached thumbnails. Do you have the contents of your Photos directory?

Yeah that sounds about right.

iPhoto holds quite a few versions of your photos with the same filename. If you imported IMG_001.jpg from your camera in to iPhone, it will make two copies, one in a thumbnail folder location which is like 100x100px or something small, and then the full size which is 3000 x 2000 px or something.

Depending on what kind of state your old HD is in, you might be able to recover the files you need.

I would see if you can get someone to recover the hard drive's contents on to another external hard drive. That way you can look through the files and folders for your documents that you require. If the hard drive has failed or the platter inside the drive is damaged on the area that holds your full-res photos on you won't be able to get them back easily, without taking it to a professional company that charges extortionate prices.

Take it to an Apple Retail store and kindly ask a Mac Genius if they can try to rebuild the volume and recover any data to another drive, if you're lucky they might.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.