iPhoto - Removing Duplicates?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JustGretchen, Mar 13, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Is there an easy way to remove duplicate photos from iPhoto 08...

Basically what's going on is that I am in a situation where I've been called in to help with consolidating iphoto libraries from 3 different Macs that a friend of mine has owned into 1 new iMac. The big problem is that these libraries have come from different versions of iPhoto, and of course over the years, Apple has changed the way iPhoto organizes itself, so things are now a little screwy.

However, as you might imagine, since they've owned several Macs, they have duplicate pictures now within their 1 iPhoto library on their new iMac. Had I been here when they moved all of the libraries over to the new iMac, I would have been able to save them (and myself) from this mishap.

Is there an easy way to find pictures with duplicate names and check them out?

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Wondering if the "merge" function of iPhoto Library Manager would help? Not sure, but worth a try. Try to merge all the older files into the newest one. Naturally, back up everything first! Prior to Leopard, there was iPhoto Diet that would identify duplicates, but don't believe it has been updated. Not aware of a replacement, either.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can take a look at TidyUp. Haven't tried it myself, but they say it's fully compatible with Leopard (don't mention iLife '09, so if you're using '09 I'd email them first to find out if it's compatible).

jW

4. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

TidyUp! IS GREAT!!!!

It's found all of the dupes in iPhoto, and will do the same for iTunes. I'd suggest this for anyone with ANY duplicate files.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Has anyone used it for iPhoto 09?

After doingthe best I could viewing pictures by title then by date, and weeding out a few hundred dupes, I turned to Duplicate Annihilator - whilst it missed 1-2, it took out over 1,000 dupes -
    You run it, it then tags the more recently created duplicates with word duplicate. you can then filter these into a smart album, tag them however you want, then sort them and delete them.
    Won't be using the windows scanner and camera backup system again on my iPhone!
    (As a sidenote, for those with MobileMe, you can get Apple's Backup program and backup whatever files you want onto your iDisk partition - good way to keep an in the cloud backup of your iPhoto library if it's <19 or so GB).