iPhoto - Restoring MOV files from TimeMachine?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GeoffR, Dec 12, 2009.

1. GeoffR macrumors newbie

I appear to have deleted some MOV files that were in my iPhoto album. Is it possible to restore only the ones I deleted, and if so how?

thanks,
    Geoff

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Go into the Tome Machine (TM) backup via Finder, browse to the folder with the date of the last known existence of those .mov files,

[​IMG]

then go to your user folder located in there, go to Pictures > iPhoto and right click on the iPhoto Library file and select Show Package Contents which allows you to browse you iPhoto library.

[​IMG]

3. GeoffR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great instructions, but "Show Package Contents" is not an option of the TimeMachine version of iPhoto's library. The only option is to restore the entire library, which I don't want to do.

Is there another way to see those files?

thanks again
    Geoff

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just use finder navigate to your actual iphoto library, show contents and then fire up TM

OR

open up in finder the Time Machine backup, navigate via finder to the the backed up iphoto library and then do a show contents (and then manually copy the MOVs to where you want them.)

5. GeoffR thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks. I managed to solve it by simply launching iPhoto and going to the folder where the files were. Then I entered TimeMachine and it took me right there.

For what it's worth, my experience was that if I tried to navigate directly to the iPhoto pictures in Finder in TC I did not have the "Show Contents.." option.

cheers,
    Geoff