Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helio1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Hi there,

I got iPhoto 09 today, but had the same problem anyway in 08. Most of my pictures are of my pre-Mac days and all of the ones which were taken turning the camera i.o. vertically, are not automatically rotated by iphoto. I'm quite sure other software does that.

Doesn't iPhoto have the ability to determine whether a photo is supposed to be rotated or not? If not, is there any free software out there?

Thx for any info!

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
ok, could you be more specific? How could I overcome the problem?

iPhoto does not 'magically' detect orientation. Modern cameras have orientation sensors inside that detect what way you are holding your camera. If you take a portrait orientation image, the camera embeds a flag into the image saying 'rotate this image this way'.

iPhoto reads this flag and applies the rotation - you may not care about this part, but it actually rotates the image (it inserts it into the modified folder, and has the unrotated one in the original).

You photos from 'premac' days are likely from a camera that did not have this orientation information embedded, so iPhoto does not know its true orientation. Rotate it manually in iPhoto.

helio1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
other software?

ok thx for the info! However, does anybody know of any other freeware software on mac that does automatically recognize whether a photo was taken vertically. It has nothing to do with magic ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.