IPhoto - Saved Images

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slimswannie, Aug 5, 2011.

1. slimswannie macrumors newbie

Hi all,

This may seem as a silly question but as a fairly new convert to MAC i could do with some help please?!

My query is regarding iPhoto. Does anybody know the directory where the photos are actually saved? You see i copied all my photos from an external drive off my pc and they have been converted into iPhoto and i think i now have like 9000 images saved on my hard drive along with the new iPhoto duplicates. I would like to know so i could delete the other photos but is this risky? I don't want to lose them all!

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Michael

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

All pictures that are stored in iPhoto are saved in one file called "iPhoto library" which is by default in your Pictures folder. If you have imported the photos into iPhoto, then it is safe to delete them in whatever other location you have them apart from the iPhoto library.

If you want to access specific picture files within iPhoto, you have to go to the iPhoto library file, right click it, and select "show package contents." This will then open a new window where you can browse through the pictures stored in the iPhoto library. You will most likely want to look in the "Originals" folder since that is where the full size imports are stored.

3. slimswannie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help on this - it is appreciated.

I managed to find at the photos and cross check that they all imported and it seems ok so i went ahead with the deletion of the other files this morning! Hope i got it right now ;)